News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay Replacement Truck Questions

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, March 29, 2012, 11:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

Clarify something for me guys.  I am looking at my notes on this topic and am confused

The 36 ton Shay first run truck have 8 screws??  this truck is a problem truck??

The second run has six screws??  Did the second run have the same truck problems as the first run?

How many screws does the replacement metal truck have?? or how can one specifically identify that a 36 ton shay has the newer trucks??

Thanks Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Udo

Hello Bill !
The first run had 8 screws, this was as far as I know, the one with problems.

The second run has 6 srews, I think, power connections upgraded. The fixing of the trucks to the bolster is the same in both runs. The difference is, that on the first run, you can remove the trucks without openeing the gear box. On the second run, you must open it to get to the two addidinal screws in the front and in the back of  the truck. In "principal", the truck also has 8 Screws, only 2 of them are covered.

The replacement trucks have 4 screws only. The boltster will be fixed by the two screws on the sides only.

Hope this helps,

Udo from China

charon

Bill and Udo;
I have a first edition (81000 series) 36 ton shay with the replacement trucks added and they have 6 screws.  I also have two of the second edition (82000 series) 38 ton shays, but they are still in their original sealed brown shipping boxes.  If you can't determine the number of screws in the second edition, lemme' know and I will open one of the boxes.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

charon

Bill,
As far as I know, the truck problems were only with the first run (36 ton, 81000series) not with second run (38 ton, 82000 series). 
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks so far, but one says the replacement trucks have four screws and another says they have six screws.

So for question 1  Answer 8 Screws,  Bad truck understood

Question two Second run of the 36 ton shay Answer six screws,  Bad truck also? still not clear.

Question 3  four Screws, or six screws on the replacement truck????  still confused

Wade Colyer

Hi Bill:

Just to add to the confusion, remember the Ely Thomas shay I got from Clem at York the other year? The 1st shay had the 8 screw trucks and gow lights while this one had the 6 screw trucks and led lights like the 2nd Pardee & Curtin shay. Clem said that they did two runs of the Ely Thomas and the 2nd run had the improvments. I know that Bachmann repaired some shays and replaced the trucks with the later ones but don't know if they also upgraded the lights. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Wade

charon

Bill,
I removed one of the second version from the box.
Right now I have all three types of trucks sitting in front of me.
1. First version shay 8 screws
2. Replacement trucks 6 screws
3. Second version shay 4 screws
Be wary when purchasing two truck shays, the end of the box for the first version will say 36 ton with a 81xxx model number, the second version will say 38 ton with a 82xxx model number.
I hope this will help you, Bill, and thanks for the myriad of info and help you graciously share on this site.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Mike M

Bill first run had 8 screws second had 6 screws on the outside and 2 more inside when the 38 ton came out it had die cast trucks with 4 screw
Bachmann still puts the plastic 6 screw trucks on the older version or 36 ton shay and the die cast with 4 screws on the 38 ton and the 55 ton shay The replacment trucks sold seperatly are die cast 4 screw trucks
Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

To summarize then:  with thanks to all and Especially to Chuck with all three in hand after opening another box. 

So for question 1  36 Ton Shay original  Answer 8 Screws,  Bad truck 

Question two Second run of the 36 ton shay has  six screws.  Replacement truck for original run also has six screws

Question 3  The 38 ton Shay has four screws no replacement needed 55 ton three truck Shay also uses the same four screw truck. 

So one can safely buy a 36 ton shay on Ebay as long as it has the six screw truck. 

I appreciate all the responses.  I had been asked about this in a private message and Bill P if you are reading this you should have the answers you need.

Thanks to all,   Loco Bill

Gandy Dancer 1

Hey Bill,
Many thanks for your help on this matter.  You have been invaluable in getting to the bottom of this and saving me from buying a headache!
ATB,
Bill P