News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax gears - which ones have issues?

Started by tbdanny, April 05, 2012, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbdanny

Hi all,

I've just received my On30 Climax, and it looks great.  However, there is one question I have.  I'm aware of the gear cracking problems on the Climax and Shay, and I'm planning to put brass rings around the Climax gears, to prevent the issue occurring.

I suspect that it's the small gears turning the axles that are the ones in question.  Am I correct?  Also, they already appear to have some sort of metal ring around them - could this possibly be a part of a fix to the issue?

Regards,
tbdanny

Hamish K

The problem I have had is not with the gears inside the truck but with the connection between the rear  truck and the driveshaft. There is a joint that  connects the shaft to the the truck. The sleeve that fits over the end of the gear shaft that protrudes from the truck has cracked, and the drive shaft becomes disconnected from the truck. Placing a ring around the sleeve is a cure for this. I know this is a common problem, I understand that others may have had cracked gears inside the truck, but I have not had that problem.

Hamish

tbdanny

Ah, that's what it is.  Thanks for that.  I might wait to see if the issue occurs before attempting a repair - I don't want to have to take apart a brand-new model needlessly.

Stevelewis

Theres  no point in taking  these  apart if there is no fault, as I have mentioned in previous  posts I have  owned several  of these locos  and never had a problem at all, in fact  I am still running  one of the  very early Climax locos, which  must  be several years old now,  I cant remeber   when exactly  the Climax  reached the  Market!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

dmolavi

Quote from: Hamish K on April 05, 2012, 07:18:24 PM
The problem I have had is not with the gears inside the truck but with the connection between the rear  truck and the driveshaft. There is a joint that  connects the shaft to the the truck. The sleeve that fits over the end of the gear shaft that protrudes from the truck has cracked, and the drive shaft becomes disconnected from the truck. Placing a ring around the sleeve is a cure for this. I know this is a common problem, I understand that others may have had cracked gears inside the truck, but I have not had that problem.

Hamish

I have a climax which has experienced this problem (my second so far)...can this be fixed after the fact? If so, how? Do I disconnect the driveshaft and slide/crimp the ring over the sleeve? what kind of ring, etc?