News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Problem

Started by bbrewster, April 06, 2012, 06:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbrewster

If I have 2 separate loops connected by one common track do I need 2 of these controls? I can send a couple pictures of my lay out if needed. I have bought several cars from you recently. Thanks Very Much BRAD- bradbrewster 

Spectrum EZ Command Control System Digital Automatic Reverse Loop Module 44912

Jerrys HO

Brad

Pictures always help. Is your layout DC or DCC? Two separate loops are no problem but when you say they are connected by one common track, is it a crossover, turnout, wye? The only time you would need a reverse loop module is if a loop returns back to the original track it started from. If the two loops are connected to one main section then you would need two reverse modules. These modules are for DCC operation so if you are running DC the modules will not work. If you can post pics of your layout it will help.

Jerry

Doneldon

brew-

It depends on your track configuration and your operational plans. If you have two concentric ovals (loops?) of track connected by a crossover you don't need any reverse loop modules because you won't have a reverse loop. However, if you are planning to run your layout on DC and you want to be able to simultaneously run trains on the loops at different speeds or in different directions, you will need to electrically isolate the loops from one another and use two cabs, each with its own power pack. In that case you'll almost certainly want to be able to switch cab controls from one to the other. If you are running DCC on two concentric ovals you won't need to isolate the two tracks or use cabs; your DCC controller will permit you to operate trains in different directions at different speeds.

If, however, you mean loops which connect back to a common track which runs between them (think two balloons connected by a single string) you will either need some relatively complex wiring in DC at each end or one or two reverse loop modules in DCC. In theory, a single module will operate both loops, but a very busy model railroad with many trains plying the rails could conceivably need to react to two "shorts" at the same time, but that's highly unlikely since the electronics work nearly instantaneously. If it were me, I'd just use one.
                                                                                                               -- D

bbrewster

How do I post a picture?

bbrewster

I hace an EZ command that I blieve does DC & DCC by using differant buttons on the controller. I think what I have is 2 what you call reverse loops using turn outs that I believe can be run manually or power them. The only way I could figure out to post a picture was in my profile picture.

Jerrys HO

You need to open a photobucket or flicker account to download photo's.
This link will tell how.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,2750.0.html

Post a pic so we can get a better view of what you have.

This link may help also. As Doneldon stated think of a balloon. The figure in this link is half of your balloon.

http://www.dccwiki.com/Reverse_sections

I use 2 of the reverse loop modules from Bachmann as they are not that expensive plus using one the way I have my track configured would may end in disaster.

Jerry

bbrewster

Here is a link to my pictures of my lay out. It took awhile but here it is. Hopefully this will help.
http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/mnbbrewster/

Jerrys HO

Brad

You have two reverse loops. You can use one module but I would use two as they are not expensive. ( I purchased mine from The Favorite Spot. I bought two modules and the 9" power insulated track that is used with the modules #44597 for under $100.00)

One loop is at the top of your layout where it enters the Sony LX9/60.
You need to place one insulated track after the turnout entering the box and one right before you exit the box before the turnout. Instructions are very clear with the module on how to wire.

Do make sure that when the train enters the loop that there is enough track to have the whole length of the train inside the loop before it exits the loop.

The second loop is at he bottom of your helix and is installed the same way.

The link I posted is one of many posted in this forum to help understand and work with DCC.

One suggestion I can make is lower the grade on your helix. Do those little steamers actually make it up to the top? Mine have trouble going up a 2-3% grade. (I have not added weight to them yet)

Welcome to the world of model railroading it is an excellent way to build character and relieve stress.

Jerry

Jerrys HO

QuoteI hace an EZ command that I blieve does DC & DCC by using differant buttons on the controller

Your EZ Command can control one DC loco with the #10 address, all the other's are for DCC engine's.

If you do run DC loco's be careful not to let them sit on the track while not running. You will fry the motor in it if it is not running. I find running DC engines on my DCC layout is not very fun unless I stick it on my outer loop and let it run by itself while keeping an eye on it so it does not get to hot.

Jerry

bbrewster

Jerry,

Thanks so much for your help I had no idea that there was this much to running a train around a track I have learned alot in a few months. Apparently the polar express which is a 3 rail track does not need all this reverse loop stuff because it does not need to reverse polarity!!! My wife said this morning why don't you just get the polar express if it's easier, why couldn't of she told me that 4 months ago before I started buying all this HO & ON30 stuff. I don't know yet if it will run up the mountain that I built yet because I have not been able to get it to run yet. I will let you know as soon as I get it running. I only plan on having the engine 2-3 cars & a caboose on the the track.

Jerrys HO

Brad

Once you get to understand DCC it is not that scary or troublesome. I modeled O for many years because I feared the complexity of HO. Since DCC came along it is actually more fun and interesting than when I did O.
Sold all my O and moved to HO with no regret's.

Jerry

You also have an excellent group of people on this site to help you through it.

bbrewster

Jerry,

When I get all these reverse loop modules installed can I run my DCC engines that smoke and whistle on it? Or do have to just run my analog engines? Do use the same controller that I have? also do have these reverse loop modules also on your lay out? Thanks again for the help. BRAD

Jerrys HO

I do use the EZ Command. It is an excellent controller to begin learning with.  I have been using it for two years now.
I do have the the same module's on my layout.
Yes you can run your DCC loco's that whistle and smoke ( smoke is not a good thing,but if you must) 
I am not sure about running a DC analog loco on the reverse loop's as I keep mine on the outer loop with no loops when I do run it. Other's may chime in on that ,but for the time being till you get an answer just don't run the DC loco.

Jerry

Doneldon

Brew-

Yes, you have two reverse loops. You can use one reverse loop module for both to save a little cash. You can save more cash by using insulated (plastic) rail joiners instead of the very pricey Bmann insulated track. You can also use feeders soldered to your track or the metal rail joiners instead of the VPB terminal track. You do need to insulate both ends of both rails in your reverse loops. As Jerry mentioned, be sure your loops are longer than your longest train. Of course, that will be obvious the first time you try to run a too-long train and you see that it's about to run into its own tail! His advice about being very careful with DC locos on DCC trackage is right on the money.

Your grade looks monstrous. Twelve inches to the foot railroads would have been unable to climb such a steep hill except with geared locomotives or a cog loco. You'll be happier if you reduce that grade by at least half. Your locos will be happier, too.

The Lionel Polar Express is a three-rail AC product. The two outer rails are polarized the same so you cannot have a reverse loop problem (short circuit). HO has different polarity in its two tracks which is why a reverse loop problem can happen. The only ways to avoid reverse loop problems with HO are to eliminate them from your track plan, use battery power (not established technology yet), or go to catenary (overhead) wiring. With catenary, of course, you can only use electric locomotives, not steam or diesel.

I urge you in the strongest terms to skip the smoke. It's not much of an effect in the first place (unless you run all of your trains at all ahead flank emergency and even then it's only fair), and it deposits its mineral oil back on the tops of your locomotives, track and scenery where it at least holds dust and dirt. Some people believe it actually attracts dirt. I don't know about that but I do know that it makes a real mess.
                                                                                                                                                   -- D

bbrewster

Jerry,

Would mind posting a picture of your lay out? So I can see it. I wanted to make sure mine was going to work before I went to far on plastering it and painting it. Thanks BRAD