News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Problem

Started by bbrewster, April 06, 2012, 06:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

Brad

I do not have any updated pics yet. I was going to take one for you but my daughter borrowed my camera this weekend. Here is an old pic which has changed about twenty something times.

I have been wanting to post new pics for a while. Maybe I can get them in next week.
It sure is looking better.

As far as I can say looking at someone else's layout is not going to make yours run better. It takes a lot of time to make yours come to life.
Your helix/mountain is a big concern to me. I just don't see an engine climbing such a grade.

Jerry

jward

mot to be disrespectful, but you should ALWAYS test your track out before you commit to making it permanent.

regarding grades, 4% is considered the maximum practical grade. it works out to about 3/8" rise per full section of track in HO. your grades appear to be about twice that.  even at 4%, your locomotive's pulling power is reduced to 1/6 of what it will pull on level track. with your grade, they will be lucky to pull themselves up the hill, let alone a train. either reduce the height of the hill, or consider adding another turn to your helix.

regarding the autoreversers, be aware that they will ONLY work on dcc. they will NOT work with dc or analog.

that said, your track plan is workable if the grades are reduced.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bbrewster

Well I'm happy to say the engines climbed my helix fine will have to wait and see when I get my reverse loop modules to see if it will pull a couple cars up it, but I'm guessing it will by the way the engines went up it. I have 5-6 engines all steam type and they all made it except for one of them it was spinning alot.