News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

So much for that theory!

Started by SteamGene, July 27, 2007, 10:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I like Bachmann's releasing the C&O K4, though a K3 or F19 would have been better.  This does put a rather large hole in the theory that Bachmann won't release a model of a locomotive that is already on the market. 
Bachmann was smart.  I already have three K4s, though the Protos don't pull as much as they should.  But with an undecorated C&O version, I can tell that the VT&P power super is going to have to have one for VT&P.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Orsonroy

I saw the announcement for an S-2 (sorry, a 2-8-4 to you C&O geeks), and I was a little puzzled.  P2K nailed the NKP engines, and they've been around long enough that all of us NKP guys have all we need for ourt fleets (seven, in my case).  Unless Bachmann does something like REALLY ramp up the leve of detailing on this new model, I sort of doubt that it'll be a hit. About the only thing going for it will be the street price, which should be about half that of the P2K model.

Although I'm always glad to see another NKP steamer come onto the market, I was hoping that Bachmann would come out with something that hasn't already been done. A nice H-5 pre-USRA Mike , for example.

Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

RAM

With Bachman's announcement it is plan to see if you live west of the Mississippi you can save your money.  If you are east of the Mississippi you have some nice locomotives to spend your money on.

lanny

Well .... a Spectrum NKP undecorated 2-8-4 is a strating point at least for a MAJOR kit bash project to make it look like an ICRR 2-8-4. I could be interested. Between now and release date, I'll need to do a lot of research on existing ICRR photos of their 2-8-4s.

The name 'Spectrum' attached does make a big difference to me ... quality but at much less the price of P2k or BLI (both of which mfg. great locomotives)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

I have two of the P2K Kanawahas.  I can't say I'm thrilled with the performance of either one of them.  They are authentic for the first C&O order, but lack some of the added gadgets with the following orders.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Pacific Northern

The announcement does not specify that the 2-8-4 is a Spectrum. I assume that it is a Standard model. Note later in the announcment there is a Spectrum offering - the street car.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

You are right.  But I can't quite imagine Bachmann coming out with an entirely new steam locomotive in Standard.  OTOH, it does explain the price.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Pacific Northern

Yes, the price was the first clue.

I have not had the opportunity to compare the any of the new "Standard" models to any other engines by any other maker.

The local HS only carries BLI, Spectrum and the Proto models.

How do the new "Standard" models compare?
Pacific Northern

Stephen Warrington

:( Guess I can save my money, nothing on the list for me  this time around In HO and since I can't fool with my LS right now any ways.

Stephen