News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Transformer - speed controller

Started by rookie123, February 22, 2014, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rookie123

I'm not having too much luck with Bachmann products. Two weeks ago the engine on the Durango & Silverton that I bought for Christmas for my grandsons just stopped running. Its at Bachmann for repair. Today one of the  transformer bit the dust while my grandson and I were playing with trains (I bought two new ones for Christmas and two used ones - all four Bachmann).

So where do I get another transformer (16vac - 1000ma)? Can I get one locally. This sure is getting old.

Thanks for your help,
Rookie

Doneldon

rook-

Train set power packs aren't particularly reliable, regardless of manufacturer. If you want a quality unit which will outlive you, buy one from the Model Rectifier Corporation. They've been making the things for decades and I've never heard a negative comment about their quality or reliability. MRC makes a full range of power packs, from small, light duty units with no special amenities to high-end DCC systems with all of the bells and whistles. Any hobby shop with a train department, including on-line hobby stores, will carry at least some MRC packs. You can check out the full line at

http://www.modelrec.com/train-controls/index.asp       

and then search online or on ebay for the model you want. You'll find MRC packs on eBay which are not current (no pun intended) models; don't hesitate to buy one on that basis alone. The odds are an older MRC pack would operate just fine.

A word or two about terminology: A transformer steps house power down to the low voltages used for model trains. Most O-scale trains, for example, run 14-18 volts AC which is why their control systems are called transformers; they step the power down but do not convert it from AC to DC. A power pack does convert the current from AC to DC. In HO that means 12-14 volts; HO DCC is more like 15 volts. DCC systems really can't be classified as AC or DC because the power they put on the track is AC, but the decoders in the locomotives titrate DC bursts to the motors. You might even say that DCC is both AC and DC. Or neither. The thing to remember is that DCC is very different from the AC used in O-scale or the DC used in conventional HO- or N-scale.
                                                                                                                                                                                   -- D

rookie123

Doneldon, I appreciate the quick feedback and the instruction on the definition of a transformer. All three of the Bachmann controllers I got have a plug in unit that says Hobby Transformer (ac16v 1000ma 16va) - two came with new trains I bought and the third I bought from Amazon to run a used train I bought. All three worked just fine for over a month - with 2 new engines and 2 used engines.

So I conclude these trains run on AC power - is that right? I thought they were DC powered - thinking the wall plug-in converted ac to dc to run the trains.

I guess it doesn't make any difference - one of them just quit working and I'll have Bachamnn replace it under warranty.

That's a new engine and new transformer that failed in less than two months. Is Bachmann equipment that unreliable?

Thanks,
Rookie

Jhanecker2

rookie 123 :  The DCC trains do not run on AC power.   The controllers convert the AC power from the transformer to operate the trains DC motor . If you feed the trains motor  AC  you will damage it . I have had bachmann equipment for a few years & have not had any problems . However I run DC and I also have  MRC power packs and LifeLike .  Take Doneldon's advice if you want a more reliable  power pack check out  MRC 's line of power packs. J2

rookie123

It is obvious now that the speed controller converts the ac from the transformer to dc for the trains. I'll be looking at your all's recommendations for better controllers.

Thanks,
Rookie

Joe Satnik

Dear Rook,

I'm not totally sure which era power pack you are talking about, but the more recent train

set power packs are two pieces; an AC wall adapter, and a separate speed/direction controller.

The AC wall adapter, or "wall-wart" as some say, seems to be the more reliable half of the pair. 

If you can measure about 17VAC at the coaxial power plug on the end of the output cord,

it is more than likely working. 

If that coaxial plug on the end of the cord were twisted or bent repeatedly,

it's possible it could break despite the molded on strain relief. 

One good thing about the controller head is that it is so light. 

If you know it is bad, you can stuff it in small padded envelope and mail it for less than $2.

If you have a hobby shop near by, you might be able to find a used older single piece

Bachmann starter set power pack. 

You can also find them on auction web-sites under the number 6607.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik       

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.