News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

We need a photo!

Started by NevinW, July 27, 2007, 10:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

Now that we know that there is to a be 4-4-0 and it will be very similar to the Mt. Gretna Narrow Gauge locomotive we need a photo of said locomotive.  Anyone have a NG&SL Gazette and a scanner handy?  I can't find it in my Gazettes but they are unfortunately incomplete.  Post a photo of the engine or plans if you can.  -  Nevin

finderskeepers

The engine was a 2' prototype, and very small in stature. It will be a very different engine than the one MMI is talking about producing. There are few pictures on the internet of the operation, this is probably the best one

http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/odgretna.Html

finderskeepers

Here is another clearer photo, couldn't find an online side view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Gretna_Narrow_Gauge_Railway

ollie

Sounds perfect...... I guess the long lost info on the one spot of Rio Fanguso is surrected and indeeed the One spot looked a lot like this 4-4-0....... 8) 

John Tumolo

C.P.R.R. Manager

What we really need are some shots from the Train Show of the On30 version.    I've heard that it's a gem, a nicely composed model.  Anyone going to Detroit?

NevinW

Quote from: C.P.R.R. Manager on July 27, 2007, 07:33:13 PM
What we really need are some shots from the Train Show of the On30 version.    I've heard that it's a gem, a nicely composed model.  Anyone going to Detroit?

Good point,  That would be better than photos of the prototype.  -  Nevin

hminky

Rod

Wow, that is homely! Almost attractive in its way, not going to be on my layout. Happy for those of you who wanted a 4-4-0. Was hoping for a Heisler. Guess I will have to wait another year. Sure hope I'm still here. Rod

mmiller

Quote from: Rod on July 27, 2007, 08:30:43 PM
Wow, that is homely! Almost attractive in its way, not going to be on my layout. Happy for those of you who wanted a 4-4-0. Was hoping for a Heisler. Guess I will have to wait another year. Sure hope I'm still here. Rod

(note: the rant below is based on the new 4-4-0 being similar to the Mt. Gretna loco...if it's not [Roseanne Rosannadanna voice]never mind [/Roseanne Rosannadanna voice]  ;) )

IMHO, that looks more like something cobbled together from a too-small HO loco than something one would buy "new in a box"...

and I can't speak for anyone but myself...but that is no closer to being the kind of 4-4-0 I'd be willing to buy than it is to the Heilser you're after...

it certainly appears Bachmann has given up on the "budget 3-foot gauge" aspect of On30...I guess that's good for the Maine/industrial/and maybe logging modelers...but outside of some variations on the freight cars, there hasn't been anything new for us western types since the original Mogul freight and passenger sets...

I really hope that there are enough people happy with the new 4-4-0 to make Bachmann enough money to keep 'em in the game...I just wish they'd occasional "dance with the one that brung 'em"   :'(

and that's all I have to say on the subject...I keep quiet until the next announcement
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Hamish K

According to posts on the ON30 Conspiracy Yahoo board the prototype is in fact a Baldwin catalogue loco of a type exported to South America and other places. Gven the very short delivery time of the Mt Etna loco it would have had to be a standard design and thus similar (not necessarily identical) to other locos.

A small Baldwin inside frame 4-4-0 is at
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Sparta/8579/1.htm  
This loco is s a 30 inch gauge loco that operated in Brazil. Granted the tender, domes and other details are different from the Mt gretna loco, but it does show a family resemblence.  

I look forward to the model photo. If it is indeed sufficiently generic to represent actual 30 inch gauge locos (as well as the MT Gretna loco) I congratulate Bachmann!

Hamish K

japasha

While the Mt. Gretna locomotive was significant in a way, that probably will not be the prototype. The Baldwin catalog had a locomotive very similar to the Brazilian locomotive Hamish referenced. Excepting the outsized headlamp, the Brazilian locomotive is quite close in actual looks to the 1:20.3 4-4-0.

The Mt. Gretna locomotive was built in seven days by Samuel Valclain himself with a hand picked crew to meet the deadline to open the Mt. Gretna Railway on July Fourth. The master himself did the design from on hand parts and other pieces. The locomotive was exceptionally poweful for its size.

C.P.R.R. Manager

I've read comments from a few folks who have seen the real Bachmann loco, and they agree that it's nicely proportioned.  And small.  I think they indicated that the modern version looks more like this, with the drivers a little closer together.

Hopefully some photos will leak out of Detroit soon, and we'll find out for sure.  That's the advantage of having announcements closer to the release date -- By the time the announcement is made, there's a pilot model to answer all of these questions.

Tomcat

Well guys,

if I cast am eye on the Pictures already to be found here: To me it´s a nice looking Lokie... Can´t see anything ugly on her...

She will get some work to do on my Layout, but anyway:

I´m not wishing to pester Bach-Man that much, but shouldn´t we have some more geared Engines, let´s say a bigger Shay (more modern) and the Heisler we all would like to see one day.... Don´t let this go to others...

Kind regards, Tom ;)

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Just a little bit of patience here.   On another thread,  the B Man said pix will posted as soon as possible after the samples are home from the show.    I would think this week will answer all your questions......
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org