News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

We need a photo!

Started by NevinW, July 27, 2007, 10:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

Actually it is ironic. I said that Bachmann had taken On30 to a new level when they introduced real narrow gauge equipment.

I even had a website talking about On30 having moved beyond "a conspiracy of old men putting big cabs on HO mechanisms and driving them around the smallest possible radius". Dang-it, Bachmann has dragged On30 back into the abyss.

Glad I have moved on
S Scale rules
Harold

NevinW

Quote from: hminky on July 28, 2007, 07:38:23 AM
Dang-it, Bachmann has dragged On30 back into the abyss.

Glad I have moved on
S Scale rules
Harold

That may be a bit of an over-reaction here.  You haven't even seen the model yet. -  Nevin

ollie

Quote from: hminky on July 27, 2007, 08:24:41 PM

The prototype

Harold

I kind of like these ugly ducklings. I guess I will budget for one next year.... Will look good with the morning trian consist of Baggage-Combine-Coach...

I was actually expecting a 4-4-0 but I figured that Bachmnn would shrink the large scale version, but I guess people would have ended up begging for a mogul version of it aswell.  But I like this version better, it will be just perfect. :) :)  Hope there will be parts along to make her a wood burner.....

Ollie

On30geezer

Hal, being one of those "old men putting large cabs on HO mechs" I say Rubbish.   ???   The new 4-4-0 is a great little engine that will be great to run and to modify (yep, the Old Man will be messing with it for sure).  All I can say is the On30 community is a lot better off with the offerings from Bach. since the first 2-6-0 was introduced.  I also believe another mfg. is coming out with a larger 4-4-0 in On30 so why should Bach. compete?

Have fun with your S scale trains.

Allen NYT

JohnR

Try looking at the banner page for the Texas Outlaws on Yahoo.  They have a pic of the show samples next to the 2-8-0.

To my eyes, it is not like the Mt Gretna nor the Brazilian.

-John

kendoitall

Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

hminky

Making them so you don't have to click

Harold

Rusty

Well, I feel a little better now that I've seen some pictures of the new 4-4-0.  It is certainly an odd little critter and appears to be more of a hybrid of Mt. Gretna and the Brazillian. 

What concerns me more is that it will may difficult to impossible to elegantly bring the couplers up to On3 height, which is what I'm using for a standard for my On30 stuff.

Rusty

ollie

Thanks for the photos. I like the looks of it....

heintz

I think it is a great choice of prototype and will fit in very nicely with early logging scenes, especially after you pile on a bunch of appropriate junk.

kendoitall

From an email I got from Micro Mark:

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

Nick_Burman

When I saw the 4-4-0 I got the Mt. Gretna drawing in the Steam Loco Encyclopedia and compared it with a diagram I have of Oeste de Minas #1. Both locos have a lot in common... they are just about the same width and height and have the same driver diameter (can't say much about cylinder size). OdeM #1 is about 3 - 4 feet longer (engine only). For the Mt. Gretna engine to match up with OdeM #1 means she's BIG as 2-footers go!!!!

The B'mann 4-4-0 might be "pint-pot-sized" but it is MUCH better than a "Big Cab on HO mech" loco (it has the proper mechanical proportions, for starters). And remember, early American NG locos where in many cases scaled down versions of their SG counterparts, it was only much later in the Narrow Gauge Movement the NG locos began getting their own proportions (the 2-8-0 is a good example). For the "typical" trains found on many North American narrow gauge lines (2 to 4 cars) I believe that she'll be more than amply sufficient...

Cheers Nicholas
Sao Paulo, Brazil

rich19

I must admit that the engine looks better than the first photos. It would be nice to have a photo of the pre-production sample with a Bachmann coach behind it in order to see if the proportions are ok.

So far I still have the feeling that the 4-4-0 is ways too small to put in front of the passenger cars.

Bachmann?????

Ken

Nicolus

Did a similar comparsion of MT Grenta engine and EFOM # 22
Plans for both in NG&SLG.  Will live with tapered boiler, but will
be seriously looking at building a set? of outside frames for
conversion.
  With 17 OF 4-4-0s, 6 IF 4-4-0s operated by the EFOM at one time or another, may need to aquire more then one.

The IF 4-6-0s of the EFOM are another project to get done one day!.
Along with 2 Rio Turbio 2-10-2s, Canadianized for my Northern Division.

Ken Clark
    Calgary Ab
      GWN

Nick_Burman

Beware of the Gazette's plans!!! According to a friend of mine who lives in Rio and at one time was in charge of restorations in Sao Joao del Rei the Gazette drawings of #22 are filled with errors (he should know what he's talking about - when he quit working for RFFSA he took all the mechanical drawings made for the restoration project home with him!!! ;D). Anyway the loco to compare the 4-4-0 to is #1 - after all, she's a "shrunken-down" 8-18-C.

I would buy the "1920's" version... closing one eye I could imagine it rattling 6-8 empty steel drop-bottom gons and a baggage/caboose car on its way from Sao Joao north along the bank of the Rio das Mortes to the Fazenda do Pombal manganese pit (there used to be a lengthy spur into the pit, only #1-4 and the 20-series 4-4-0s could go up it on account of light rail and curvature)...  ::)

Don't worry about the size of passenger equipment compared to the 4-4-0 - if you look at the Hilton book about American NG RRs you'll see several cases of the motive power being dwarfed by the passenger equipment!!!!

Cheers Nicholas
Sao Paulo, Brazil