1ST TRAIN SET - Starting to collect

Started by LYNARROYO, April 11, 2012, 11:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerover1944

The moderators apparently deleted your post along with 2 others, thank you Mr Doneldon for your apology! I hope we can learn and continue to help others in spite of our difference's concerning Bachmann EZ Command!

You claim you know all about EZ Command and from your posts, you've seen this system but I don't believe you ever used this system from your post. And if I'm wrong I stand corrected sir. Yes the system is very limited as is most starter DCC sets/systems , NCE for example, can be purchased for low prices of around $169.00 with a recall limit of 2 loco's, possible to operate 3, but you enter the #3 loco and erase one of the other, it only has a memory for 2.

Bachmann EZ Command has a memory for 9 loco's, mine at present has 12 loco's programmed in my throttle with 2 loco consist's. I used 6 out of 9 slots! That still leaves me room for 3 more! Like I said I run as many as 6 trains and all consist's of 2 loco's, 12 locomotives on my $50.00 EZ Command throttle with the 5 amp booster (cost of $180.00), 6 of these have sound. I don't normally run 6 trains, it gets very confusing, 2-4 trains is my comfort zone. Just in case you don't know how to consist with EZ Command just watch the video's Mr Doneldon. It's 2 loco's MU'd on the same "button", just trying to be elementary.

Lets compare shall we starting with NCE which is a fine system as are other DCC systems from what I've read:

So for $169.00 I can purchase an entry level system with a throttle that will allow me to limit myself to 2 loco's. Adding an NCE 5amp booster ($135.00) still doesn't give any additional address slots.

So I should throw my EZ Command throttle away because I have slots for 2 loco's with NCE's limit, as opposed to Bachmann EZ which has 9 address slots, not 2? But I still haven't purchased any DCC loco's, no locomotive, no track and no rail cars yet, because this system doesn't come with any!

How about I upgrade the NCE and purchase the NCE power house pro for $450.00, average discounted price for this system. Then I am capable of programming 6 loco's in the throttle because that is, as you know, the recall limit for this system, 6 before it starts erasing the previous entry's. Ok the power house includes a 5 amp booster, and I can program CV's. Still have no DCC loco's, no track and no rail cars yet, because this system still doesn't come with those!

Bachmann item number 00501 HO DIGITAL COMMANDER TRAIN SET.
E-Z Command
2 DCC equipped loco's with operating lights
Plug-box car,
Open-quad hopper,
Wide-vision caboose
E-Z Command Control Center with wall pack and plug-in wiring
Body-mounted E-Z Mate couplers
56" x 38" oval of E-Z Track, including
12 pieces curved track,
4 pieces straight track,
1 terminal rerailer,
1 manual turnout - left,
Under-track magnet with brakeman figure, and
1 Hayes bumper
DVD format E-Z Command instruction video illustrated instruction manual
Price $157.00. The Favorite Spot

You'd be lucky to buy one other manufacurer's DCC equipped loco for $157.00 let alone a whole complete train with nothing else needed to run trains, it's a bargain and then some!

I use the Bachmann EZ Command, if I ever upgraded to another system I could sell what I have invested and probably get nearly all my money back. But I won't since I have no need for advanced system's with my 11'x17' layout. I program my CV's and sound with my PR3/JMRI (cost $74.00) program track, I have no desire to able to put in 900 loco's in any throttle and I'm quite happy with what I have at the present time 39 loco's total about 6 are still older DC analog and not worth converting to DCC. But I have my eye on a few of  Bachmann and other brand loco's and will be purchasing more. I have about 300 pieces of rolling stock, but still want more.
I only use the function's for what sound options I can use and quite frankly only use the bell, horn/whistle, and lighting functions.

Most of the sound's are default during start up, running, and shutdown. I have however completed some function remapping and cofigured decoders as an example, ditch lights that flash when the horn sounds with PR3/JMRI using decoders that allow you to do so.
It keeps me quite busy with completeing my scenery and maintaining what's completed.

I no longer see a need to continue to add to this thread and to continue on is senseless and reminds me of grade school children fussing about who has more expensive toy's. So I will be the first to bow out of this discussion, thank you for letting me have my say and since Mr Donedon's post has been deleted along with others, I will ask the moderators to delete my post also.

To the OP, Lynn, make your choices wisely whether you choose DC analog or DCC, and I only provided the links to Bachmann DCC showing how easy it is to use. DC analog is  still used by many, perhaps more than DCC users, who enjoy model trains.

Good Luck and Happy Birthday to your husband!
Jim

doug c

If you have a decent sized bkyard, enjoy the outdoors and gardening, have a simmering interest in acquiring/building a  model railway as hobby  -----   G-gauge  is the way to go,  where you still also have the option of hiding in the 'basement' tinkering on some aspect of the railway,  on inclement days    ;)

IF you're "thinking" of it   George Schreyer wrote up another decent page  regards in' or out'  !  
http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips8/indoor_or_outdoor.html

imho,
doug c

"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on  YA  !! "                djc'99
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

jward

the nce  is a full featured dcc system which allows the use of more than 2 slots. even on the entry level system.  it allows you to use the locomotive number as the address, instead of only 1 to 9, and has access to all functions. you can fully program your decoders with it. it would be the equivalent of a stripped down dynamis, and is fully compatable with the other nce products. digitrax and others make similar entry level systems, which can be fully integrated into their top of the line systems. unfortunately for bachmann, you can't do that with ez command. if you want to do more then control a couple of trains at the same time, you need to replace the whole thing. i truly wish that there was an upgrade path for ez command and that it was compatable with dynamis, but that is not the case.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA