News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track estimates

Started by alphaguy, April 15, 2012, 01:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alphaguy

I have two Bachmann train sets (Yard Boss & Frontiersman) complete with EZ track.  I enjoy them and decided to expand the original layouts.  I bid on and won the Woodland Scenics Scenic Ridge layout set. 
Inasmuch as I already have the EZ track that came with my two Bachmann sets, as well as two EZ track turnouts I have since purchased, my desire is to use EZ track on the Scenic Ridge layout instead of the Atlas track that is touted in their documentation.  Does Bachmann have the corresponding EZ track, and if so can you tell me how to convert from the specified Atlas track to EZ, or provide me with a list of track needed to complete the Scenic Ridge layout?

Alphaguy

skipgear

The Scenic Ridge layout plan calls for 9 3/4 R curves if I remember correctly. Bachmann does not offer a 9 3/4" in EZ track.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

the Bach-man

Dear Alpha,
Tony is correct. Our minimum radius is 11.25".
Have fun!
the Bach-man

alphaguy

Thanks guys,  Where do I go from here.  Does KATO EZ track have what I need?

Country Joe

Here's a link to the Kato website page with the Scenic Ridge track plan:

http://www.katousa.com/track-plans/scenic-ridge.html

You can build the layout with Kato track, but follow the warning to lay out the track as it is not an exact match for the Atlas track, but fits the layout and follows the plan.

alphaguy

Thanks Country Joe, I have the KATO layout now but it is still probably more costly than the Atlas layout. 
I have been thinking (actually dreaming and losing sleep over this), bearing in mind the KATO warning, and as long as was going to cut down a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" plywood under a 2" sheet of styrofoam, could I just NOT cut the base sheets leaving me a 4x8 instead of a 3x6 overall layout, and then play with my existing Bachmann EX track and turnouts, filling in where necessary with Bachmann larger curves? 
I could then use additional 1/2" styrofoam sheets along the sides and the end of the SR layout which might allow for any expansion the less tight curves will force the overall layout into?
That also would give me 2 more feet for another industry?
Any thoughts, suggestions, anyone?
Fred

Desertdweller

As a general rule of model railroad design, the greater the curve radius you can use, the better.  This is especially true in main line track.  I don't know enough about the Scenic Ridge layout to give you specific recommendations.

A 3x6 layout is not very large, even for N-scale.  You would be much better off with a 4x8 if you have the room.
You need to be aware that 4' is too far to have to reach across, so if you are building a 4x8, you will have to allow space for access behind the rear of the layout so you can reach all the track.  It will also be a consideration on a 3x6.  2' to 2 1/2' is about as far as one can reach.  You can get by reaching a little wider than that if you stand on a stool and have a solid place on the railroad you can rest a hand on.  It is not somethimg you will want to do on a regular basis.

In the "old days" a work-around for this problem was to cut a hole in the layout you could pop up out of like a prairie dog.  You need to be pretty flexible for that one!

Les

Country Joe

You certainly can use the EZ track if you go to 4x8 Fred. The extra foot in width and two in length will make a lot of difference.

Atlas track is cheaper than EZ track or Unitrack, but remember that switches already have the switch machine mounted in the roadbed, and the roadbed is included. When you add the cost of these to the price of Atlas the difference is not that great.

As Les said, you cannot reach across 4 feet so you need access to the back of the layout. If you have to place it against a wall then I would suggest mounting it on casters so you can move it to get to the back. If you have room to walk all around it consider using a divider in the middle. This makes the layout seem larger and allows you to have a different scene on each side. When the train is on the other side of the layout it seems like it is many miles away from the other side.