News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 undecorated?????

Started by howmus, April 15, 2012, 07:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howmus

I have heard some great comments about the Alco 2-6-0 and want one (or two or three).  But for those of us who don't want "HO Scale Sound"  (Yuck!) And for those of us who don't want NYC, PRR, UP, B&M, CN, or ATSF and don't want to have to strip the paint, repaint, and decal for our own roads (not to mention tearing out the crap hardwired sound thingy) to get one to be right on our layouts............  (Yes I know they are available now without hard wired sound and have the NMRA 8 pin plug for a decoder which is great, but......)

How about one that is painted but not decorated for the rest of us???  I've been waiting patiently to buy one (or two, or three!). :'(

Doneldon

how-

Bachmann says that painted undecorated locomotives don't actually sell very well which makes it unlikely that they will be produced in large numbers. If you search this web site (and probably google as well) you'll find lots of ideas about stripping lettering without ruining the underlying paint. That will let you buy whichever road name is on sale at a given merchant.
                                                                                    -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on April 15, 2012, 11:44:32 PM
how-

Bachmann says that painted undecorated locomotives don't actually sell very well which makes it unlikely that they will be produced in large numbers. If you search this web site (and probably google as well) you'll find lots of ideas about stripping lettering without ruining the underlying paint. That will let you buy whichever road name is on sale at a given merchant.
                                                                                    -- D

If they don't sell that well, how come they were always so difficult to find as they always seemed to sell out first?

Doneldon

Quote from: rogertra on April 16, 2012, 02:06:55 AM
If they don't sell that well, how come they were always so difficult to find as they always seemed to sell out first?

Roger-

Well that's a good question, isn't it? I suppose it could be that they didn't make many to begin with so the few they did make disappeared quickly. I don't know that for a fact; I'm just kind of speculating out loud, er, on paper, er again, on the Inet.
                                                                                                                                               -- D

wjstix

I too would like to see undec models be more common, for the 2-6-0 and the other Bachmann engines with the stripped-down Tsunami.

FWIW it's pretty easy to remove lettering on a factory engine by using a rubber pencil eraser and a liberal amount of Walther's Solvaset. If it's a black steam engine, you don't need to strip it and repaint it.

Bucksco

SAL, KCS and NC&St.L  are pretty cool but PRR is VERY cool.......

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 20, 2012, 10:00:00 PM

There are many who would differ.   :)

Jerrys HO

A little paint and decals can make it whatever you want.

Bucksco

Quote from: rogertra on April 21, 2012, 02:37:10 AM
Quote from: Yardmaster on April 20, 2012, 10:00:00 PM

There are many who would differ.   :)

That doesn't necessarily mean that they would be correct...  ;)

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 21, 2012, 03:01:28 AM

As I freelance, your preaching to the converted here.  :)

Jerrys HO

rogertra

QuoteAs I freelance, your preaching to the converted here. 

That was intended for the undecorated posters. I myself intend to do a few myself. No manufacturer can ever please everyone in any type of business. Modifying a few things to suit your needs or wants is what it's all about. You will never be able to buy all the
prototype pieces you need if you intend to build a prototype layout or the space to do it in.

Jerry

electrical whiz kid

Yardmaster et al;
What is "correct"?  It is pretty much construed as to mean what the builder's mind will readily accept as good.  One can get into a fistfight over this kind of debate, but I think that the ruling commonality here is just what I said.  Hell, it is your money, time, effort-and your locomotive.  You do with it what you want; I am sure that Bachmann will be just as happy.
Rich

Searsport

The 2-6-0 is the perfect shortline engine, and I would have thought would be the perfect candidate for an undecorated release.  The undecorated Baldwin 4-6-0 with sound went first at Kleins and everywhere else.  I know, I missed it!  The undecorated Baldwin 4-4-0 with sound has only hung around because for some reason folks like Trainworld are asking $60 more for it than for the decorated versions.

Bill.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: howmus on April 23, 2012, 12:04:51 PM
Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 21, 2012, 03:01:28 AM

Actually...  A lot of taking apart, paint stripping, setting up the airbrush, mixing the paint, painting, decaling and reassembly!  I can't believe there is no market for "Painted, unlettered" locos.  In fact, I have an email from the high mucky muck of sound at Bachmann saying they plan to make a "Painted, unlettered" model for the rest of us of the Alco 2-6-0.  I would just like to know when?

Al

for a "VALUE" engine I can't see why a little effort wouldn't hurt. I won't be losing any nights sleep over having to paint over or remove lettering/roadname from any engine, I'll be happy with what I want regardless of roadname. But you're also hearing this from someone who collects brass on a college student's budget at minimum wage. I do what I can, and if I have to strip someone elses paint job on one of my brass engines to get it the way I want it so be it, I don't have the money to throw around to try and "trust" someone to do the job for me. I buy off-black paint from the Home Depot I work at at 97 cents a can and I spray over the plastic engines raodname and it does the job I intended it to do. All this fuss over undecorated could give me a brain aneurysm.

Another reason I don't read the recent articles in model railroader and read the antique magazines dating from the 50' and 60's they teach you how to do things from scratch

IF bachmann came out with a D&RGW prototype engine and it was painted for another road I WON'T be complaining