News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bus wiring

Started by RJP, April 11, 2012, 01:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

I want to mention another reason for staying with DC.  I think it is inherently a safer system, as there is not a constant voltage on the track.

As has been mentioned here before, leaving a DC locomotive standing on DCC track is apt to destroy it.  This is not a problem with DC, as when the loco is left standing, power to the track is off.  With DCC, even if the throttle is "off", power is still in the rails.

Les

Rangerover1944

Les I give you all the credit in the world. I'm quite sure that they are many many more DC layouts and model train buffs that don't buy into DCC. It can be costly especially if someone has a desire to add more amps, you know what they say "the more the better". I've heard of people applying 8 and 10 amps to their pikes only to have a derail and litterly weld the wheels to the track. Not smart to overdo things either, everything has it's limits.

But once I found control of 2 trains on the same track, one going slower or faster at my command, I never looked back. Stay with it if you're comfortable with, trains are trains and DC users are not looked down upon by me and lots of others. Enjoy and have fun that's what's important. MRRing is cheaper than a therapist, at least for me, it relaxes me and I forget the daily boring thing of doing adult stuff. LOL a 68 year old kid who still plays with trains. Jim

richg

The real issue with going from DC to DCC is the fact that this is a bigger step then most realize. Manufactures try to simplify this but many still do not realize they have to do some learning.
People want to use what they know as a basis for new technology and that gets them into trouble.
Making assumptions with DCC gets some into trouble.

Rich