News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound problem

Started by casetrains, April 11, 2012, 11:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

casetrains

I recently purchased a Bachmann DCC Locomotive with sound. I also got the EZ Commander digital control System. It says I should get 17 sound but I only can get 4. Can anyone give me suggestions or directed me to someone? Thanks, Case
Mitch Case

Rangerover1944

EZ Command is just that! It's the easiest, simple, the less costly of all the DCC systems available on the market. No you won't get "all" the individual sounds available on a decoder with EZ Command. I recently asked a question on this and other sites of how many use all the available functions on their throttles. Now these are the more expensive more or less complete systems costing $500-$600.
The most common response was the bell and the horn. I've been using EZ Command for 7 years and still don't use the few other sound functions that I could use with EZ Command. I normally run up to 4 trains with all 4 in a consist of 2 loco's, I have and can run as many as 6, but it gets downright confusing. Now understand you can't do that without the 5amp booster. You are lucky if you can run 2 sound loco's with the 1 amp power supply. Some sound decoders are real hogs for power! Now I can't remember what loco is on what address let alone what button to push for the individual sound and or light functions. And not all decoders use a standard of what button does what, most do stay within the recommendations of NMRA standards, but not all!

For instance Function 4 on one of my decoders enables pop-off drier and starts compressor/airpump. On Function 4 on another different decoder n 4 dims my headlight, and on a still yet different decoder Function 4 operates on/off for my ditch lights on a loco. I have sound decoders that you can hear the engineer unlock the cab, who'd a thought. Other decoders have farm animal sounds, still others have "all aboard" from the conductor. It gets crazy and I personally believe a gimmick to sell a product, just my opinion.

Bachmann sells loco's with sound that are extremely affordable for the few that are available at this time. I've paid more just for a decoder than Bachmann sells for a complete locomotive with the sound already installed. Bachmann DCC systems are a bargain and again easy to set up and operate in DCC with no hassles's. There are other systems that have a much more complete program and function capabilities but for much more $$$. But I'm not interested in spending several hundred dollars more so I can hear a rooster crow or listen to steam safety blowoff. No on the contrary I even enjoy function 8 MUTE! No sound at all, just the whining of the electric motor and the metal wheels on the track. And I appreciate Bachmann making this hobby with DCC simple, and ez to use for the price of it. Jim

bobwrgt

You can get the MRC black box or the Tech 6 for less than $100.00 that will give you all the sounds.

Bob

Bucksco

Which specific locomotive did you purchase? If it is a "Sound value" locomotive it only has four sound funtions. If it is a Spectrum "Sound on Board" locomotive it will more sound functions.

richg

Quote from: casetrains on April 11, 2012, 11:37:54 AM
I recently purchased a Bachmann DCC Locomotive with sound. I also got the EZ Commander digital control System. It says I should get 17 sound but I only can get 4. Can anyone give me suggestions or directed me to someone? Thanks, Case

What does the advertising for the loco show?

Look in the Bachmann Product Information section, also.

Check in the Bachmann site for the documents for the sound locos.

Rich

OGhoul

Quote from: Rangerover1944 on April 11, 2012, 01:45:07 PM
You are lucky if you can run 2 sound loco's with the 1 amp power supply. Some sound decoders are real hogs for power!

Im able to run three Atlas GP38AC's with QSI sound decoders without issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDqs3MSO8pw

Rangerover1944

OGhoul, I watched your video. I have to do that, show some stuff too. My lady friend has my camera for a bit. I know you can run 3 with sound. I haven't measured how much feet or scale miles on my layout but it's 11'x17' with 4 main lines and longest is 68' all running in loops with lots of siding and short cuts and 2 reverse loops and a large 15 stall roundhouse with 4 additional parking spurs for my turntable along with 4 switching yards all on the top The center of one part is a spaghetti bowl of 2-3' trestles with trains going over the top and underneath and the subway is also 11'x17' with 2 lines around the whole layout with 2 reverse loops, 1 switching yard, so I have lots of track and 1 amp is impossible, but I do great with the 5 amp booster.

My EZ Command handles it all quite well, never had a problem in 7 years. Jim

Pacific Northern

Quote from: OGhoul on April 16, 2012, 10:41:00 AM
Quote from: Rangerover1944 on April 11, 2012, 01:45:07 PM
You are lucky if you can run 2 sound loco's with the 1 amp power supply. Some sound decoders are real hogs for power!

Im able to run three Atlas GP38AC's with QSI sound decoders without issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDqs3MSO8pw

I bet they are not BLI units. I have several BLI units and they all require more than 1 amp to run. I can easily run 3  Spectrum sound engines or 2 Intermountain or Proto units.

I had to buy a 5 amp DCC controller before I could run and enjoy my BLI units.
Pacific Northern

Rangerover1944

I had a strange thing happen with my BLI engines, the only loco's that did it too. It's one of the reason's I mention about how sensitive BLI is. I had a section of track that I put and expansion joint in when I laid my track and it opened to about 1/8". Every time a BLI loco hit that joint if I had the sound off, the sound would start even though I had it off with the function 8 button. If the sound was on and they hit that joint the sound would start as though it was just starting up, LOL and sometimes the bell would ring or the whistle would blow. Drove me nuts!

Thank God I didn't have it ballasted yet. I loosened up the track and pulled a bit and put a plastic rail joiner in to close it. Bingo! That fixed it! None of my Atlas, Proto, Bachmann, Athearn or Stewart sound loco's were bothered by it. Odd! Jim