Recommended Sound Decoder For Acela Express Ho

Started by JMP, February 11, 2012, 02:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMP

Will the Loc Sound or Tsunami sound decoders and speakers fit in the body of the Acela express. Any recommendations?

Thank you

richg

Quote from: JMP on February 11, 2012, 02:03:33 PM
Will the Loc Sound or Tsunami sound decoders and speakers fit in the body of the Acela express. Any recommendations?

Thank you

Open up the shell and do some measuring. Both decoder companies have the decoder dimensions.
Litchfield Station , a good online DCC seller, calls out the dimensions also.
Many HO diesels use a 16mm x 35mm oval speaker usually firing down. Some use one or two 28mm round speakers. Some, a 28mm on each end firing down, some two 28mm facing each other in an A frame enclosure.
I have all three varieties.

Rich

richg

I just realized this is a electric powered loco. You would have to search though both decoder company specs for something that might simulate the sound of this type of loco.
I know LokSound has a couple that I think are for locos on the other side of the pond.
Someone here some time ago asked about sound decoders for electric powered locos but cannot remember what the link was.

Rich

mlrr

I've been putting the bug in QSI's ear about getting sound files for the Acela.  Last I spoke with them, they actually recorded the sounds but when they demonstrated it to me, it didn't sound quite right but I was informed that a number of adjustments had to be made.  Essentially I didn't hear the "howl" of the AC traction motor that I'm accustomed to.  They were also able to determine the correct horn for it.  The good thing is that they only need to record the sounds of EITHER an HHP or Acela as one sound set can satisfy both!
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com