Sound decoders start as soon as wheels touch track?

Started by OGhoul, April 16, 2012, 10:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OGhoul

I have an Ez Command and several locomotives with QSI decoders. As soon as I set them on the tracks (with power), the locomotives immediately play their startup sequences.

Is this supposed to happen, is there an advanced CV that I need to program, or is there possibly something wrong?

Thanks in advance. 

jonathan

OGhoul,

Yes, that is suppose to happen.  At least, all my Sound locos run their start up sounds as soon as I set them on the track.

Even though your throttle may be on "0", there are still 14-16 volts running through the rails.  Hence, the idling noises are operating.

Unless you have set it otherwise, the headlight should come on as well.

Regards,

Jonathan

OGhoul

That explains it then, but it does raise another question for layout wiring.

If I park some locomotives on a spur or siding, will I have to wire it in such a way that I can cut power to that track to stay under the EZ Command's 1 amp limit?  Or will it be enough to (if I'm able, I haven't checked yet) run the shutdown sound sequence or mute them even?  Since they're not playing sound, they should be drawing less power, correct?

Example, I park a three loco consist, will I be able to start up a different two loco consist?

Doneldon

OG-

You'll need to be able to cut the power to storage tracks for locos if you don't want them to pull a little current.
They will draw a small amount even with the sound off. Since you are talking about multiple stored lash-ups,
you would likely exceed the EZCom's capacity about as soon as you started some active trains.
                                                                                                                                              -- D

OGhoul

Thanks for the info.  That's exactly what I was thinking.

richg

You can also shut down the sounds if they are are not overloading the controller. Covered in the manual for the decoders.

Rich

Rangerover1944

OGhoul, you can however turn off the sounds using function button 8, that will kill the sound. And by simply pressing the button again in function mode will turn it back on.  Also note, not all my sound loco's start as soon as I put them on the track, some only come on when I call it up from my throttle. And by way I never place or remove a loco in DCC while the power is on the track. It's best to place the loco on the track first and then turn the track power on, and turn the track power off before removing your loco. QSI decoders are very sensitive to the tiniest of interruptions. Jim

Rangerover1944

It sounds as though at some point, since you are using sound decoded loco's you might think about purchasing a 3-5 amp booster. Some sound decoders are real hogs for power. Boosters can be purchased from under $50.00 up to hundreds and most are NMRA compliant. I purchased the Bachmann booster, a bit pricey at $180.00 for this particular unit, but it has a fan and doesn't overheat. Another consideration is the auto shutoff in this unit is very sensitive and has saved me from frying decoders due to internal shorts in DCC equipped loco's. Some lesser models do overheat! Jim

mlrr

All my after-market sound decoders are QSI.  None of them start up as soon as they touch the track.  I usually have to hit a function button (any one while the loco's addressed is called up) for the sounds to start up.

My Soundtraxx equipped Athearn Genesis locomotives automatically run whenever they're on powered dcc track.

With QSI decoders, you can actually go through a three-stage shut down.  You have to press F9 twice for each stage.  After the third double-tap or sixth (total), it will actually go through the shut down sounds including the sound of the cab door opening and closing.  From that point forward, whenever you put the engine on the tracks, it will not start up automatically.  You'll have to hit F6 to start the locomotive up again.  It will go through start up sequences.  Failing to do so will render the loco inoperable (not permanently, just until you hit F6).
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

Steve Magee

QSI decoders can be programmed to start up when a packet addressed to that locomotive is received, the default is to start when any valid DCC (for any address) is received. You cannot change this CV on your EZ Command, ask your local hobby shop/club/like minded train friend (who preferably has decoder Pro installed and connected) to alter it for you.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Rangerover1944

Steve
I believe you're talking about CV 11. Handy CV but that won't do it!
If your BLI loco seems to have erratic sound behavior, cutting in and out when in operation and dirty track or wheels are definitely not the problem, try changing CV 11 to 20, that's the highest value you can go, if you go higher it reverts back to 6 (default).  Default value is 6. The reason it sort of skips, other than the problem I had at a rail joint, has to do with the decoder pausing for more info associated with packet timeout. It won't, however, from my experience using Decoder Pro, stop those engines from starting up as soon as power is applied to the tracks. Odd but 2 out of 3 of my BLI's don't start up until I call it up with the throttle. Of my Digitrax Soundbug's, one does the same thing, comes on when power is applied to the track, nothing I found to change it except function 8 (mute) button. Jim