News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Discontinued Spectrum Steam Engines

Started by Pacific Northern, April 15, 2012, 07:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I was just at one of the on-line model railroad hobby shops and they indicate that the Spectrum 2-10-2 has now been discontinued.

Can the Bach Man give us an indication of which Spectrum engines are most likely to go back into production.

I have been looking for a Spectrum Heavy Montain 4-8-2 for some time now, it is another discontinued engines, another engine I would like to purchase is the Spectrum 4-6-0 in the low driver version. It is relatively hard to find as well.
Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear PN,
Such decisions are made once a year, and announced (usually) at the NMRA National Convention.
Until then, it's a secret!
Sorry!
the Bach-man
PS: Keeping them in play here can't hurt...

jonathan

Folks,

For what it's worth...

I was just at the GMTS in Timonium this past weekend.  There were new, unopened Spectrum steamers still available.  For instance:

4-8-2 Mountain; both heavy and light, several road names and undecorated.  The C&O version is quite beautiful (opinion).

2-8-0 Consolidations:  With SOUND, without sound, and the new standard version.  The Sound connies were priced to sell.  I almost bought one, but I have keep telling myself I have enough Connies.

Plenty of 2-6-6-2s, with or without sound.

There were 2-10-2s all over the place.  One day I'll get one and make a B&O S-1a from an old Rivarossi boiler (future project).

4-6-0s and 4-4-0s were few in number, but were for sale.

EM-1s and sound modules were readily available at good prices.  I picked up a sound module for my #7600.

For me, it is a two-hour trek (one way) to get to one of these shows.  However, it's well worth the trip. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

jonathan-

That's the thing with model railroading merchandise. It's all over the place, even if it's out of production. You can often find things on line for years after a manufacturer stops making them. ebay and train shows have loads of models which are long out of production, decades even. So those of you who are bemoaning the fact that a favorite loco or car is no longer being made take note: Visting a few train shows is very likely to turn up just what you are looking for.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

Pacific Northern

Trying to find more of the Spectrum Heavy mountains with sound in the SP livery with the Hicken tender has been futile. These units are just not out there. Must have been a small run.

These are the finest pulling engines in the HO Spectrum line of Steamers.
Pacific Northern

jettrainfan

I see 2-8-0s and diesels galore at the media train show in Media Ohio. saw a Baldwin locomotive works 2-8-0 for sale and would've bought it if I had $110 on hand. haven't seen a 4-8-2 bachmann but have seen the 2-6-6-2s. This one guy brings up a lot of Bachmann stuff and had 2 standard cab dash 8s and a wide cab dash 8. seems like some areas have more of one kind of locomotive than another place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

stirling34

I am desperately looking for an HO Shay 2-truck and can't find one anywhere. Many listed HO's are realy HOn30. Can anyone help???? thanks.

richg

Quote from: stirling34 on May 11, 2012, 05:32:23 PM
I am desperately looking for an HO Shay 2-truck and can't find one anywhere. Many listed HO's are realy HOn30. Can anyone help???? thanks.

Train shows have been suggested.
All I can suggest is to watch ebay and search the 'Net using a couple different search engines.

I usually use, privatelee.com/ primarily. There is Google and Yahoo also.

Rich

Pacific Northern

Bachmann did not make an HO two truck Shay, are you perhaps thinking of the two truck Climax. If you are these are rare.
Pacific Northern

richg

Quote from: Pacific Northern on May 11, 2012, 08:38:23 PM

Bachmann did not make an HO two truck Shay, are you perhaps thinking of the two truck Climax. If you are these are rare.

I went on the assumption that he is looking for any brand of HO Shay. He did not say Bachmann.

I see two truck Shay's quite a lot. If he wants a challenge, he can get a two truck MDC/Roundhouse Shay. Geared steam and a few others have improved this model.
I have been watching the Yahoo mdc/roundhouse group and I see one for sale every so often.
There are a couple brass versions around on ebay also.
Some convert the Bachmann three truck to two truck. There is a on line article about this
I would suggest to the OP to do some research, on line. His PC is more powerful than he realizes.

I have over the past few years found items that where suppose to be rare. Patience and on line searching.
My best was a brass HO scale caboose modeled after the NYC Pacemaker caboose that all that had to be done is painting and decals. Cost, $70.00 and usually goes for at least $150.00. That one was rare. I tried asking on forums and guess what, search ebay or the Internet.

Rich

Doneldon

The brass Shay's are prohibitively expensive for many people.

--D