Bull Frog Snot: how to remove this stuff from drive wheels?

Started by heallred@gmail.com, April 16, 2012, 12:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heallred@gmail.com

I have tried bull frog snot  on a Bachmann 4-8-4 Norfolk & Western locomotive.  I caused more proboems than solved. How do I remove it form the loco drive wheels?

Desertdweller

I have not tried this product, but I'd bet you could remove it with WD40.  Apply the WD40 to a rag and wipe it off.  You can then use an oil-attacking detergent like Dawn on a rag to remove the WD40.

If there was an award category for the most outrageous name for a model railroad product, BFS would surely win.

Les

Doneldon

he-

Try some mineral spirits or acetone but be very careful, especially with the acetone. It's about the closest thing to a universal solvent there is. Dd's idea of finishing up with a soap product is a good one.
                                                                         -- D

Rangerover1944

That's too funny bullfrog snot. I use Gorilla snot when I'm playing my guitar and singing with the bands. It sure does get hot up there on those stages with the lights and heat from the amps, you can't hold on to the pick without it with all the sweat. We use fingernail polish remover, acetone to take it off. I assume it's the same stuff, sticks like the devil and very heat resistant and waterproof. Jim

richg

A simple Google search shows that this stuff can be removed with an Xacto  knife.

Rich

James in FL

What richg said.

The manufacturer recommends cradling the lokie upside down, applying power, and using an Exacto blade to remove as the wheels spin.

I am unsure as to what scale the OP is modeling.
In N scale the drivers (both 4-8-4's) are made from plastic with the metal wheel tread pressed on.
In general, plastic and acetone don't mix well.
Acetone in this application may have catastrophic results so be extremely careful if considering its use.

Personally, not knowing the plastic composition, I wouldn't chance it.

Stick with a sharp Exacto blade..
Good luck

Rangerover1944

GEEZ plastic wheels with metal rims, whodathought, what's old is new again. I never knew that in N scale I suppose in Z scale too. My first thought after reading James post was old wooden stage coach wagon wheels, wood with steel bands or model t fords with wood and hard rubber tires. Ain't that something! Jim

ryeguyisme

Quote from: richg on April 16, 2012, 06:36:52 PM
A simple Google search shows that this stuff can be removed with an Xacto  knife.

Rich

As a brass collector I refrain from trying to put anything like an exacto knife near any wheels... Ie: wheel wear occurs if one is not careful

Doneldon

rye-

Hold the scalpel at a very obtuse angle to the wheel and facing into the rotation. You'll peel the
crud off of the wheel with no damage or wear to the tire.
                                                                                       -- D

ryeguyisme

Thanks Don just adding a word of caution, I once used to clean locomotive wheels with sandpaper... learned the hard way

Doneldon

Quote from: ryeguyisme on April 25, 2012, 01:38:38 PM
used to clean locomotive wheels with sandpaper
rye-

OUCH! But I'll bet it got the wheels clean, didn't it?

Actually, I wonder of a quick buff with some crocus cloth would polish wheels enough to help them stay clean. I'd check this out experimentally except it would be such a pain to make sure two locos pulled the same train at the same speed on the same track for the same length of time. Does anyone out there in the great Bman Beyond have any experience with this?

-- D

ryeguyisme

Yeah, they cleaned alright, but they got dirtier a lot quicker  ::)  I've even used fingernails and pencil erasers to clean locomotive wheels. The guy at the local club came up with this concoction where he sprayed some stuff from an aerosol can and diluted it with water and the stuff cleaned the wheels perfect without damaging plastic or anything else, I must ask him what he used on the next visit

Doneldon

rye-

I would bet that he used electronic contact cleaner, like the spray cleaners we used on the old rotary TV tuners. That stuff was plastic safe, worked well, dried quickly and left a thin silicone coating which retarded new dirt. However, it didn't last long because it was subject to abrasive wear in the tuner, not the rolling friction of metal wheels on rails.
                                                                      -- D