News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old Timers' Reminiscing

Started by CNE Runner, April 16, 2012, 04:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

If anyone needs them, the Hi-F/Hustler drive bands are still available from Athearn, P/N: 90101, $3.60 for a pack of 24. Or you can order them through Horizon Hobbies, P/N: ATH90101. They currently show as "Out of Stock", with a due in date of May this year.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Doneldon

Quote from: Len on April 27, 2012, 10:39:34 AM
If anyone needs them, the Hi-F/Hustler drive bands are still available from Athearn, P/N: 90101, $3.60 for a pack of 24. Or you can order them through Horizon Hobbies, P/N: ATH90101. They currently show as "Out of Stock", with a due in date of May this year.

Len

They also have 'em at Office Max. Just get the small ones for cheap.

Does anyone here actually believe the huge interest in Hi-F drives and Little Hustlers? They were a joke back in the day and now they're like celebrities. It knocks me out. But I'm not immune to the fever. I don't have a Hustler but I recently resurrected my Athearn Hi-F RDC. Is anyone aware that this model was the impetus for the Japanese bullet trains? Of course the RDC goes a little faster but that's where the idea came from. You can look it up!

Also, has anyone noticed how fast this thread is growing? It has to be the most active one on the Board. I guess we old geezers like to roll around in our pasts.

-- D

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on April 27, 2012, 01:30:47 PM
I don't have a Hustler but I recently resurrected my Athearn Hi-F RDC. Is anyone aware that this model was the impetus for the Japanese bullet trains? Of course the RDC goes a little faster but that's where the idea came from. You can look it up!

:D

QuoteAlso, has anyone noticed how fast this thread is growing? It has to be the most active one on the Board. I guess we old geezers like to roll around in our pasts.

-- D

I wouldn't speak for anyone else, but living in the past seems to agree with me.  ;)  ;D

And maybe, just maybe, deep inside anyone who aspires to operate his model trains prototypically, there still lives a little boy who wants his trains to go fast.  ;D

richg

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering,
what happened?

I hit 71 years old April 15th. Workout for about two hours almost every day.
Ride bicycle on rail trails in my area.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Manhan-Rail-Trail/192310751055

I am known as Bike Rider.

Member of the Manhan Rail Trail committee.

Rich

Desertdweller

Everyone has a past, even the newbies.

And the "Old-timers" posting here have all pretty much experienced the same start in the hobby:  trying to get a model railroad built and operating on a limited budget, using the equipment widely available at the time.

We know what it is like to attempt to haul an HO freight train with a tiny Hustler that can outrun an HO slot car.
Looking through layout plan books and dreaming.  Wishing we had "just a little more space".

I think it is this common experience that binds us.

Les

RAM

rich, you still just a kid.  It is good to see that you workout and ride a bike.  It pays off.

richg

Quote from: RAM on April 27, 2012, 08:58:07 PM

rich, you still just a kid.  It is good to see that you workout and ride a bike.  It pays off.

I have Macular degeneration in the left eye which does not allow model railroading anymore. Cannot do anymore close up modeling. Been a nice ride. I am taking down the layout and starting to sell off stuff.
As Uncle John's Bathroom Readers books say, Go with the flow. lol

Rich

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: richg on April 27, 2012, 09:37:43 PM
I have Macular degeneration in the left eye which does not allow model railroading anymore. Cannot do anymore close up modeling.

:(

What about Large Scale?

richg

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on April 27, 2012, 10:10:55 PM
Quote from: richg on April 27, 2012, 09:37:43 PM
I have Macular degeneration in the left eye which does not allow model railroading anymore. Cannot do anymore close up modeling.

:(

What about Large Scale?

Gave away my Bachmann large scale, 4-6-0 with two cars to my son in law for my first grandson, Jan 2011 when he was born. I hope to be around long enough to help him set it up when he is old enough. My daughters got a late start in life having children.
They will be buying a larger home and I told my son in law to make sure the place has a large, dry cellar. A bonus in the house would be, a large scale layout ready to use. lol.

Times change. People change.

Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on April 27, 2012, 02:04:33 PM
And maybe, just maybe, deep inside anyone who aspires to operate his model trains prototypically, there still lives a little boy who wants his trains to go fast.  ;D

Damn betcha'!!

CNE Runner

Hey you old Geezers (I'm 27...or was it 67? I forgot) - All kidding aside I spent $23 of the Monks' Island Railway funds on an Athearn Little Hustler BECAUSE OF YOU GUYS AND THIS DARN THREAD! In writing my contributions, to the thread, I began that dangerous journey called 'reminiscing'. On the 'journey' I remembered a time when life was a lot simpler and fun could be as cheap as taking an old baby carriage and turning it into a downhill racer. 'Guess I owe you all a "thank you".

The Little Hustler will join my (small as of yet) collection of 'critters'...I have always maintained an interest in small switching locomotives. As for actually running the Little Hustler? Are you crazy? The entire length of the mainline of the Monks' Island Railway is something like 10'. How would I explain that hole in the train room wall to my wife? ["No, honest honey, there was this silver missile that actually streaked inches past my face...'probably some experiment gone wrong at Redstone Arsenal or the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville...I wouldn't lie to you dear."]  ::)

Ray

BTW: Oh, OK - when the Little Hustler comes next week I'll 'take it out for a spin' (with one of the couch cushions at the end of the track).
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jerrys HO

Ray

I would be careful it may go thru the pillow. You may want to double stack.
I bet it was the one I was trying to bid on also. Never had one and they are pretty neat. I guess I will keep looking and bidding.

Jerry

Desertdweller

Oh, the dangers of peer pressure!  I can hear your mother now: "I suppose if all your friends dropped their Hustlers off a roof, you would, too!"

My only advice is, you may want to remove your scenery from the outside of your curves.

Les

Doneldon

Quote from: CNE Runner on April 29, 2012, 11:12:03 AM
I'm 27...or was it 67? I forgot

Ray--

I hate to say it but if you forgot ... you're 67.

-- D

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on April 29, 2012, 01:04:47 AM
Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on April 27, 2012, 02:04:33 PM

Damn betcha'!!

:D