News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Easy to remove track

Started by Mcapp, April 04, 2012, 11:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcapp

I want to extend my track to a new area but I need to cross over a short section of lawn and in front of shed. Other than laying the track slightly below ground level so I can roll things out of shed, and mow the lawn, is there an easy way to remove and replace a section of track when I want to? I was thinking of a low trestle maybe 1-2 inches high that can be removed (much like a drawbridge would do).  Pulling the track apart doesn't seem the best solution.  thanks, MCapp

JerryB

At least two manufacturers of rail clamps make what are generally called 'lift out' or 'bridge clamps.' They allow you to remove a section of track by lifting up rather than pulling apart. Once installed, they do not require a tool to remove the section. They are rather expensive, but still cheaper than damaging track with garden tools or fighting connection problems caused by slip joiners that have become loose through constant removal and replacement.

Here is a link to Hillman Rail Clamps' Bridge Clamps:

http://www.hillmanrailclamps.com/332-08-Lift-Out-Bridge-Rail-Clamp-_p_29.html

Note that you remove the slip joiner and replace it with the bridge clamps on the section you want to be removable.

The other provider is Split Jaw Rail Clamps, but their website is down, so I'm not providing a link.

I use the Hillman product in several places.

Hope this helps & Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Mcapp

Thanks Jerry,  sounds like just what I need.  I'll check it out.

MCapp  :)

glennk28

I don't know about the newer brands of track, but I had a layout with LGB track on the ground for 17 years--rail was just at ground height--I used to mow across it every week--same track on a newer layout gets walked on all the time.  gj

NarrowMinded

Theres a guy that set up a huge layout in his yard and across driveway every Christmas, his wife drives her Toyota Camry over it (two parallel straights sections) everyday when she leaves for work and then comes home, his is all L.G.B. track, he says he has never had a broken track in years.

Nm-Jeff

Mcapp

I know what your saying and that would be the easiest way to go.  But I don't think my wife wants the tracks cut into even a part of the lawn. She's understanding but not that much :D.  

I also think it would be fun to build a low trestle over that area that I could lift out and replace as needed. I have it pictured in my head and I'd like the challenge of making it work.

MCapp

Wade Colyer

Hi MCapp:

I've used these on my indoor layout for some time for a lift-out bridge. They work very well.

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200805934

Wade