News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Issue with new Alco 2-6-0 with sound

Started by richd286, April 23, 2012, 07:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richd286

New out of the box engine stops dead at low speeds when the tender reaches any turnout.  At higher speeds the momentum is carrying it across the frog. I have 10 other DCC steam and diesel engines and none of them do this.  Before I send it back to The Favorite Spot for replacement I am hoping someone here or The Bach-Man can help.  I have a fair bit of experience with engine wiring and DCC and I have checked the external connections on the tender and it all looks correct.

Has anyone had this experience and is there an easy adjustment I could make.

Thanks.  RD

bobwrgt

Make sure all the plugs are pushed in all the way.
Check all the electrical wipers on the engine and tender to be sure they are touching the wheels. They might need to be bent or adjusted to hit the axles and wheels.
You can just put the tender on the track and a sheet of paper under the engine to see if the tender is picking up power. If it is not the problem is in the tender. Do the same thing with the engine. If it is not picking up power The problem is in the engine or the connection between engine and tender.

Bob

richd286

You were right!   I took a small screwdriver and seated the connnector firmly into the engine, took off the tender wheels and bent the brush leads on the axles and it runs all over the layout with out hesitation, Thanks Bob!
RD

bobwrgt

Glad to be of service.
Nice that you posted the results that made it work.
Posters often post the problem but not the answer that fixed it.
If the problem comes back you might want to check the wipers on the back of the engine wheels also. They are harder to adjust.

Bob

Doneldon

This loco gets a positive review in the current Model Railroad News.

-- D

richd286

It runs like a champ, the bell and whistle add a lot to the effect.   This is a great value for the price.

Mark Damien

I noticed a small problem with five of six of my Alco 2-6-0s.

The Side Rods & connecting Rods are mounted the the main driver incorrectly on at least one side of each loco. The washers & spacers separating the rods have been assembled in the incorrect order or are missing. I have corrected them, with the exception of the one missing the spacer, which I will manufacture.

It might be an idea for Bachmann to check their assembly line, as someone doesn't know what their doing or doesn't care.

Brilliant loco though, at a great price.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark