News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for 84102 4-6-2

Started by CTripnc, April 23, 2012, 02:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTripnc

New to the Forums. This question may already have been asked. Does anyone have any suggestions for installing sound in a Bachmann 84102 K4 4-6-2 Pacific? It is the Spectrum series with DCC on board.

richg

Quote from: CTripnc on April 23, 2012, 02:29:01 PM
New to the Forums. This question may already have been asked. Does anyone have any suggestions for installing sound in a Bachmann 84102 K4 4-6-2 Pacific? It is the Spectrum series with DCC on board.

This is not difficult if you have the experience for sound and DCC installs. The part numbers are thrre.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=ho&s=Bachmann

Litchfield Station has good prices and shipping.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php

Take time to look though the below link., especially in Curriculum. A lot about DCC and sound. He use to own Litchfield. Bachmann sound locos use SoundTraxx products.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Someone here has done this. Good luck. Store all links in Favorites.

Rich

richg

Also, do a General and HO forum search. You will find helpful info for this loco.

Rich

Rod in PA

Hello,
I installed a Soundtraxx decoder in my Bachmann K4 just last week.  Awesome sound but no easy task.  To get started, I suggest following some of the previous posts.  Go to the Soundtraxx web site and download the technical manual and installation guide for steam locomotives.  Study them closely as they contain a lot of information.  From there you can determine if you're up to taking on the challenge.  FYI:  In the installation guide there is a section that describes how to install the decoder in a DCC ready loco.  It's pretty straight forward but you still have to deal with getting everything inside of the tender, and substantial soldering skills are a must.  If you decide to press on with the install, get the components needed for the K4 from the Soundtraxx list.  I found all the components I needed at the "Model Train Stuff" on-line hobby shop and at excellent prices.  Let me know if you decide to continue with this project and I'll post the step by step details of how I installed the sound decoder in my K4.
Have a good day,
Rod

CTripnc

Rod in PA
I am interested. Please post any details you may have. Thanks.

Cooped

Hi

Like Rod I've also just installed the Soundtraxx decoder in a K4, see this thread

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20194.0.html

Don't let the 'overheating' talked about put you off, I was unlucky enough to get a faulty decoder which is apparently pretty rare. Rod may be able to give better step by step instructions, but we both summarize how we did it in this thread. Rod is right, the hardest part is fitting everything inside the tender.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

Rod in PA

Here is how I installed the Soundtraxx decoder in my DCC ready HO Bachmann K4:

These are the Soundtraxx parts I used: TSU-1000 decoder #826102, 1" speaker #810054, Baffle kit #810110, 1" speaker gasket #810119, and 8 pin connector #810123.

Remove the tender from the loco and then remove the shell from the tender.

Do a continuity check on the 8 pin socket of the PCB as suggested in the Installation Guide.

Remove the front weight, file 1/16" off of the top, left side to make room for the decoder.

Shorten all the black wires in the bottom of the tender.  Unsolder one wire at a time, cut off about 1 1/2", tin the end and resolder.  FYI:  Untangle the wires as you go and be careful not to create any connections between the solder pads, such as fared wires or excess solder.

Solder an 8 pin connector to the decoder, being sure to match the color code of the wires as instructed in the guide.  I removed about half the length of these wires to save a little room.

Next, install the speaker:  thread the speaker wires through the baffle top and only one section of the baffle enclosure, and solder the wires to the speaker.  Place a gasket in the bottom of the speaker mounting area, install the speaker, attach the baffle enclosure to the speaker using clear RTV and the cover to the top of the baffle using RTV.  Allow the RTV to set up over night.

Plug the decoder into the light board socket, replace the front weight and file down the screw post flush with the weight if needed (do not replace the screw), you're ready to stuff everything inside the tender.

I placed the decoder above the filed portion of the weight resting against the coal load and the screw post at an angle.  The capacitor will fit in the same area above the speaker.  Route the decoder wires to the rear of the tender above the light board and replace the tender shell.  Be careful not to pinch any of the wires between the screw posts.  Reconnect the tender and the loco and you're ready for the test track.

With my initial test, the volume was extremely loud.  I've adjusted numerous CVs to get things to my satisfaction, it's not hard to do, just follow the Technical Reference Manual.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Rod 

richg

For those who are not very good at soldering, cut back the shrink a little on the decoder. Remove the connector and install the 8 pin to 9 pin adapter. That way you only have to solder the two wires to the speaker. Some have difficulty soldering the wires to the close spaced pins on the connector. It is easy to get a short at that spot.

Rich