News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG1onFordsDTandI

I think when buying a new drill, the hammer option is often the better option even if you don't "need" it. Buying one can get you a tougher drill, with better parts and design, for a small increase in price. I.e., More quality per $.

Quote from: rogertra on July 28, 2013, 09:39:50 PM

Gluing to a wall will work but it's difficult to make changes.

Gluing a sacrificial board to the wall might allow conventional attachment and easy removal.(of the layout)

Jhanecker2

Same thing happened to me a good number of  years ago ,  I bought an electric drill with a half inch capacity chuck to use larger drills  and two weeks later  I  needed to  put in  hole  through the brick wall to bring  leads from a antenna rotator .  I decided that I was definitely not going to devote eight hours to using a 3 pound sledge hammer and a star-drill to go through the wall .  I bought a hammer drill  and a carbide masonry drill and was done in five minutes .  Best investment I made that day   Both drills  are still in good condition  and still get used from time to time . The right tool makes the job doable  and results in less wear & tear  on the body.  J2

Balrog21

Thought it was time for a short update....in other words its raining SD40-2's on my layout. =) all with the Bachmann ez track controller. 2 sound units, 2 non sound units. All DCC. Progress is slowly being made.  ;D LOVE that GE 'WHOOOP!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgg9qnddLrk&feature=share&list=UUHt0AMIYW5JAFV_Ja1wiVPg

Shaleford Rail receives some power today, IC SD40 #6005 has the duty, while IC SD40-2 #6153 waits for the move. Some of the new power will remain in it's old flag colors while others will receive the old ICG Orange and White paint scheme. During the move, IC SD40 #6004 passes by with a slow drag, and Shaleford Rail's AC6000 #2121 waits on a siding for the green light to carry visitors and locals to the Shaleford Railway Museum and Diner on the other side of town.

Doneldon

Bal-

Are you doing your engine servicing facility side by side or end to end? I think it would look very cool end to end.

-- D

Balrog21

I saw it end to end and it does look very nice, Don. I'm toying and looking at doing it that way but I think I don't have the space to do it. :/ or rather for it to look right and function properly if it were end to end. But I'm going to give it a whirl and see!

Balrog21

Ok, Mr. Don,
Here ya go. I actually like this way. But what do you all think? I'm posting the side by side pic first and then the end to end pic second.

GG1onFordsDTandI

If you can pull it off just like that, end to end. I really like the small storage tracks right next to the shops too.
No paint shed/booth? Just kidding. ;) I got to work on one, it was pretty cool  8) I think of it every time I see a RR shop. But I don't think I ever saw one modeled. Just a 2 car long, almost empty, and very clean building, with one heck of a fresh air system. Half dozen silver "chefs hats" on top a warehouse, filters and lights on the interior walls, a mixing table, air compressor and/or air lines from the shops, and your done.   

Doneldon

Bal-

I like it both ways, and the rest of your plan, too. The second makes better use of the space inside the awkward circle in the area
where you have your shops. The insides of loops like that are always hard to use but I think you may have enough rail activity
going on there to make it a bit less obvious that the area is a turn back loop. The first layout has enough room to conceal the
through tracks behind some building flats or a hillside. Both arrangements make the transfer table an integral part of a crowded
service area, much like so many real railroad terminals where things were built up over many years and more-or-less fitted
together in whatever way was possible. You really capture the flavor of those congested rail activity districts. I think you'll have a
terrific scene regardless of which way you go. But I, like you, prefer the first arrangement by just a hair. When do you break ground,
er, plywood?

-- D

Balrog21

You were reading my mid GG1, I'm going to put one in right next to the diesel house. Figured I best have one since repainting and upkeep is a prime directive of my fictional railroad eh?
Yeah, the end to end is really growing on me. I checked the video again where I saw it end to end and he has it on a dead end on one side so I don't feel so bad for having it run into the transfer table now. I figure quick fixes will come in off the 3 tracks and the heavier jobs will be brought in via the transfer table.

I'm really liking the end to end now Mr. Don! Lol, well, two tables are already built and some switches have been ordered. But gosh oh mighty is my switch board going to be a nightmare to operate.  The other three 5'x8' tables that need to be added will be commencing next weekend! ;D You really can't see it on the layout to well but the top track will have a 2% incline that begins at the top right outside curve and will slow climb for 16' until the top left corner, and then she'll be comin round the mountain...literally! =) The whole left side will be the 'scenery' part of the layout. I've got some neat plans for it I think, and it won't be just a flat plane, lots of hills and rock outcroppings making up some neat and different elevations on those two tables.

Here is the video where I saw it end to end, this guy has tons of money evidently(over 2300 square feet of track). Really nice looking layout as well. The Diesel House is around the 9 minute mark on the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEPGhVaGAgE&feature=share&list=PLqHQgiAJ9oRLXlHHqJcUATUvI4lAXnKh1
B

GG1onFordsDTandI

Are you using Anyrail? I like it a lot. Recently started using SCARM too. A totally free program by a guy who just seems to like producing design programs. It has a 3-d view too 8). Not as easy as Anyrail, almost, but not quite. That 3-d bit is very cool, and makes that little bit of extra work worth the effort.

Jerrys HO

Nice job Bal.
Very detailed. Love the yard.
Which turntable are you gonna use? Either way it is very tight and you may have issues when you finally start laying track.
That is the reason I am moving mine to a 3ft. by 3ft table next to my yard table.

Jerry

Desertdweller

Bal,

I like your linear engine terminal, too.  It reminds me of a place I visited 40+ years ago, C&NW's ex-M&StL Cedar Lake Shops.  An engine terminal located in a narrow, wooded valley in the midst of an upscale Minneapolis neighborhood.  An unusual juxtaposition that would make a great model.  The trees acted as a viewblock to the houses, and the narrow valley dictated the use of an end-to-end facility.  And yes, there was a transfer table in the middle of the shop buildings, requiring much less width than a track ladder would need.

Les

Balrog21

Yepperz, Anyrail to the rescue! Thanks guys, Jerry it's going to be the 90' Cornerstone DCC turntable, I'm not running steam so it's no need for the 130' foot one.
Wow, would have loved to see pics of the transfer table hidden in the woods like that, Desert..but thanks for the comment. I can't wait to get it all together.
Best,
Bal

M1FredQ

Being originally from Illinois I really liked the IC pieces!!!!!

The whole thing looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us up to date

Thanks

Balrog21

Thanks M1. I think I've figured out a way to use the empty space on the bottom right in the curve. I thinking I'm going Tao back the two bottom buildings up some and have a way through for forklifts and use the right as a storage area or something along those lines. Should be pretty easy with some good ole plasticard or match sticks. We will see how it comes out though. The biggest problem is going to be leveling all the buildings and transfer table so it's functional as one unit. They are all at different heights, go figure eh? The inside of the buildings will be lighted. A led strip on the underside of each lines in the engine facility and some strips on the top overheads.