News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pops

GG -  I'm on your side here.  This forum is for people having FUN with Bachmann Products.  It appears that describes you to a T.

And that's all that's needed.
Bachmann - where the fun is always shinning.

To me, no matter what you have for a layout, if you're not building 1:1 scale, you're still playing with trains.  Ain't it fun?

Ken G Price

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on August 25, 2013, 03:18:21 PM
Finished the basic table on layout #3 8). Going to play around with it as is for while. Till it "tells" me what it wants to look like  :D

This is the first table layout I did for myself, helped with a few others when I was young, but this is my first solo "benchwork". Total cost....$2 for one 2x4! All the rest was laying around,(plywood donated), including some unused Super O track I found in a box for L's "the General" gift set from the late 50s.
I had planned on normal legs then I saw an old Post War style layout built on shelves and remembered a couple of shelves, and two quarts of green oil based paint kicking around since the 70s(no lead ;)). Stirring it took awhile, but it was still good paint. A few shelf modifications, a few days, and this is what I had.
There are two folding legs at the rear attached with strong folding hinges that lock into place. I found those in the family junk hardware too. The top is just sitting on the shelves, blocks and weight keep it locked in place. I hope everything fits on the shelves!
Just a basic PW style loopy layout, but what do you think so far?

For a 1950's or 1960's layout, not bad at all.
Even for now days. Especially if watching trains going roundy round is what you were going for.
Much like the museum or train club layout that is just for watching trains moving.

My layout is point to point, but if I had a lot more room I would like to have some continuous running, such as your layout.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

GG1onFordsDTandI

Thanks all, but now I'm feeling coddled by you a little :-[.
Coddled admittedly could also describe my temperament too, from time to time, hope all can handle it when I slip.
Cant think of another word with two such contrary definitions attached ;)

Now, any constructive criticism, or brainstorms (keeping in mind on this one my goal is on the K.I.S.S. side?)(You too Sid!)
I may not do what's suggested, but I will enjoy listening. This is the time to spout those wild ideas that would never work on a true scale layout. There might be a foam layer and "flora" in my future, and flipping of outer loop S-turns to the other side. A few more inches of track here and there etc.
Some things I know- Yes its a spaghetti  bowl, crowded, and is a "switchers" nightmare with an O-27, fig 8 in an
                                        oval. The 3 types of old track is on purpose, just for display, and comparison.  
                                       The Super O S-turn cannot be backed through either. (heavier, short, O-27s ok)  
                                       There is a shoe style operating track and uncouple (does both, 2 functions)
                                        Operating cars (by shoe track)- 3 milk cars, 1 log dumper,
                                                              (by un-coupler)- 1 log dump, and  a giraffe car modified to stay
                                        mid-level,  bar makes him duck for tunnels. Comes up/down to mid level by gravity,
                                        un-coupler track electromagnet causes him to stretch up fully. Im thinking a small apple or
                                          pear tree for it to be eating from.
                                 Most scenery here will be scratch built from common items, real old, or irresistibly cool/funny

I also play with Anyrail and SCARM. Maybe Ill start posting some "scale" thoughts too. Its not like I don't have them.
For others that like to cyber-build its a 56" by 96" table, Super O, O-31, and O-27. O-27 switches-(4 total) 4 more uncoupler tracks in O-27,
                       Take care folks!

Balrog21

Hehe, a Balrog type table. That made my night, M1! Thanks!
I love the layout GG, to have fun is the main purpose of the hobby and I would have hours of fun on yours that you posted. I LOVE the leg shelves, great idea! Wish I could do that, but alas with another toddler up and coming its just not feasible for me right now, but the idea is awesome!
B

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: WoundedBear on August 25, 2013, 04:20:58 PM
With all due respect.......I'm not sure what to think.

I know, and admit, that sometimes I take things the wrong way on these forums but , looking at the photos you posted....I am left wondering if you are being serious or trying to play a prank? These kind of look like the photos that a BIGJOE fellow posted a while ago, and I wasn't sure what to make of them either.
Curiously,
Sid
Sid is an asset to this site I know. I've been reviewing to see what set me off on this post. The first line can be read with sarcasm, or respect (most written language is interpretable is various ways), but I suppose it was "the name we shall not mention"(above), which made me read it as sarcasm, which I enjoy, if tongue in cheek and a roll of the eyes ::) vs attempts to truly belittle. I don't always tolerate that well, even directed at others.

I want to make clear, I accept Sid's apology, and hope he accepts mine.
Bro-mance over, lets blame it on the Salmon moon (blue moon) we had, and move on please.  

Balrog, I was thinking tempered glass showcase doors in front of the shelves too. Locking wooden ones might be better in your case ;). Hey, there's no need for you two to try to fill the population loss of this hobby alone ;D. (Congratulations!) 

Balrog21

Thanks, not to worry, this is and was the last one of the little ones.  ;D

On another note...had some spare time and wanted to see what it looked like...I like what it gives me in the yard aspect....I don't know, what do you all think? Everything is still there, just moved around a bit. the only major difference is the size of the walking trail and houses. It got shrunk a tad, but overall it's pretty much the same just moved around a bit and now instead of 10 yard lines I have 17 in this revamp. Thoughts? Likes? Hates? hehe..
Best,
Bal

jward

bal,

you should be careful that all your switches, especially your yard, are easily reachable. nothing is worse than having things pile up where you can't reach them, and things are much more likely to go off the track when backing,
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Balrog21

yeppers, not to worry, I'm a tall slender fella, with them long monkey arms. plus there is a two foot clearance all the way around on the backside of the layout and more on the front. ;D

GG1onFordsDTandI

They get better every time, The two green areas with the yard between, I like. It looks like your elevating that line in the back too, I think it will generate more a look of "wide open country" for traveling through. Can you fill a yard that size?
Shortening the leg lengths could leave another small area for greenery, small cabin/house/store etc.

Balrog21

Thanks, GG1, yeah the back track will be elevated on a 2% for a 16' so climb starting in the top right corner.
This railroad is in the town Shaleford of my novel, Pray, which is modeled after Telluride, Colorado. Basically it's just a box canyon town, hence the U shape layout. I do plan on having some different elevations though throughout the layout.
Here is a pic of Telluride, Co
https://www.google.com/search?q=telluride+co+pictures&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NiMeUor4N9epsATluYDwAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=932#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=ur_qHCzrxr279M%3A%3BGKl3p6SFv1B12M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.outsideonline.com%252Fimages%252FP413453-1-1_telluride-town-center.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.outsideonline.com%252Fadventure-travel%252Fnorth-america%252Funited-states%252Fcolorado%252Ftelluride%252FThe-Uncrowded-Mountain-Town.html%3B440%3B270

GG1onFordsDTandI

Wow! Can you direct me to the Overlook Hotel? :D........ I really, really, think you should give the SCARM freeware program a whirl. Anyrail is great with buildings ready and such and is what I use for "quick builds". But I really think you would benefit from the one button, for 2d to 3d toggling feature, in SCARM. It is also actively being improved by the author who posts on another forum I frequent, so who knows buildings might have been added. You can make your own.....well,.. everything, too.

Jerrys HO

Bal

Like GG1 said... They get better every time. I also like the idea of shortening the yard for more green space.
GG, yes I believe he has enough to fill the yard or maybe he will be a car short. ;D
Bal I just can't wait for you to get started.

Jerry

Balrog21

Actually GG1, I can. I've toured that Hotel a few times.  ;D Creepy place to say the least. I'm a huge S.King fan.
Me either Jerry, all the yard except the turnouts leading into the yard are peco switches and flex track. Thanks for the kind words. Means a lot!
Yeah, GG, I might a car or two short...maybe more, but that leaves us something to keep going to the train store for eh?
B

M1FredQ

Balrog21

Those pictures would make nice backdrops.

I would love to take a break and go to those places!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best lay-outs for us are going to be these "U" types folks are posting which make sense

for reaching and fixing derailed rolling stock. Right now we have a 9x9 and its tough to reach

toward the middle but it has served the purpose for the time being. Now that all the kids are back

in school and getting settled we can start to look forward to getting this project moving.

Thanks everyone for sharing!!!!!!!!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Another layout! While you were eating burgers this last weekend, I finished off a couple of projects. (enough to run them anyhow)
CLICK TO WATCH
Sid, please sit down before you watch this, and I apologize in advance ;). (but its so fun ;D)

Rocket Ship-
Motor- $5 show special, Engine body is an aluminum water bottle- $1, Nose-Nylon egg package-free, Portholes- frames are tarp grommets- 60cents and marbles-free, Fins-scrap styrene, Flashing "rocket" effect- 25cent bike LED flasher, and a used, modified, fan driven, smoke unit.

Missile launcher and Instant Martian cars are old stock from Lionel.(and the "why" behind it all).

The duplicating ray and replicator car, was inspired by one of the cartoons. The computer screens Error message lights up, as does the "copying" and "replicating" screens in each gondola(more cheap LEDs) backlights a silhouette of "a wabbit"

Oops! I see a crack in the control panel now.  Each wabbit will eventually have a different hat.

My "Funky Rear Emissions Device" or "Flagrant Articulated Rear Tender" or whatever (input wanted) Will become a cage for a certain canary if I find one to fit. It is the stand for a TV remote control(free), the dome off a pair of "bug catching scissors" $1 from the dollar store, a semi-truck lighted stud from a truck stop bought 2 decades ago- $2(?), and lose styrene scraps. The center pickup it the un-coupler tack from the plastic truck (no front wheels, smaller American Flyer S gauge wheels) it just drags along, the outer rail pickup is a strand of solid bell wire rubbing the rail. Sometimes it flashes, sometimes it doesn't.

Oh the "Monster" is nothing to worry about. He's not hungry....he's stuffed :D.  Controls are a simple model ship on/off knife switch hooked to a 12v 3a dc volt "floor wart" I had around, no speed adjustment.  If hooked to an AC supply the smoke unit increases its output x2.

Well I hope you enjoyed this silliness......... That's all folks!