News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Some nice modelling shown so far, well done people.  :-)

Unfortunately, the new version of my Great Eastern is still under construction and no scenery has yet been started but here are three overviews of the as yet unnamed yard under construction.  Next job is to paint the track to get rid of that awful plastic flex track look and then start ballasting and getting the roundhouse trackage finished. Then there's the rest of the model railroad to construct.

First a view looking timetable east: -

Tracks are, left to right.  CNR 'Interchange 2', 'Interchange 1', Main Track, A&D Track and then Yard 1, 2, 3 and 4.  Cabooses and locomotives are on what will become the roundhouse lead and caboose track.   The two disconnected tracks in the foreground are not as yet part of the working trackage.

And a view looking timetable west: -

Tracks are, right to left, Main Track, Yard Lead and the engine is standing on the Runaround.

And a view of the industrial area: -

All buildings shown were salvaged from the old Great Eastern and for the moment are either place holders or will be reused or modified to suit their new locations or replaced.

If you are interested, there are construction and other views available at: -

http://s94.beta.photobucket.com/user/rogertra/library/The%20new%20Great%20Eastern%20Railway

Jerrys HO

roger

Thanks for the updated photo's. You gave new hope for a stretch I have been wondering about. It is the section in the background.The front section is the yard area which has changed a little in the past couple of days.

jonathan

I believe I added the same Atlas 18'' bridge. I love the idea of the lights but first I have to finish the supports.

I have updated a lot since the beginning of this thread. Here's another shot of my mountain which grew over the time span.

Jerry

jonathan

Roger,

Great progress.  Wish I had put as much thought into my yard areas.  Yours will be truly operational.  Looking forward to future posts/pix.

Jerry,

Great layout as well.  How do you access your mountain, you know, for track cleaning and other unforeseen track issues?

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

jonathan
Thanks for the compliment as it is nowhere as great as your's. Hopefully someday it will. I have a lot of patience.
As far as the mountain there is a hole underneath that I am capable of reaching all my rails.
I wish you would have done a step by step on your bridge lights as I am thinking of doing the same. Looks pretty easy.

Jerry

Ken G Price

Jerry, what years are the time frame for you layout.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Jerrys HO

Ken
I wish there were no such thing as a time frame. I love anything that involves railroads. I am more of a diesel type but who can resist the boldness of the steamers.
I am leaning more to freelancing my own era and my own line that way I can do it all.
You are probably asking because of the old coal mine I'm building up but the one thing that I am having problems with is I would like to make it an abandoned mine but my heart would like to see it operational.
I will probably be painting and designing my own line. I am open to suggestions since the pics are out there maybe someone will see something I don't.
I have never worked for a railroad but have had small O layouts all my life and one S layout which I still have the set in a display case for sentimental reasons.

Jerry

JerryB

My stock answer to the 'time frame' or era question is: Some time before today!

In actual fact, I do run trains that could have been, rather than modern large motive power pulling 1890s coaches. But then again, strange things happen . . .

And, It is my RR!!

Happy (Historically Questionable) RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

rogertra

Decided to have a go at painting the track today, given that I don't like the awful plastic colour.

Did it turn out OK?  I'm not sure, I'll have to see how it looks when it's ballasted.  Hopefully, the main track is identifiable.

Before: -

After: -

And from the other end, Before: -

And after: -

The larger gaps in tie spacing will eventually be filled in but I am aiming for a neat and tidy main track but less tidy secondary tracks, just like the prototype.  Let me know what you think, be honest.  :)

Terry Toenges

I went with my Lionel this year for Christmas.

Feel like a Mogul.

Balrog21

@Ken G the favorite spot has those cars pretty cheap still!

Jerrys HO

Looking good Roger.As what was stated before you have surly put a lot of thought into this.

Ken G Price

Roger. to me it looks like it should be just right after the ballasting.
Balrog21, thanks for the tip. I will have to check it out.

Jerry, I asked about the era after looking at the box cars in the pictures. "but who can resist the boldness of the steamers" Well actually I can resist. For what ever reason steam just does very little for me  :-\
Anyway it looks like a good start to a mini rail world. :)
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Jerrys HO

Ken

The fifty footers were bought at a steal. I just could not resist.  Now that I have them I am not to happy with them. I tried swapping them out for some smaller one's with a friend but his layout has maximum 18 radius and turnouts. I recently replaced 90% of my 18's with 22's.
I prefer diesel but love those Big Boy's and EM1's. They are a pleasure to watch on videos as I have never seen one down in the south as far as I can remember. But I bet if I would have it would have been diesel what?

Jerry

rbryce1

Well, the Christmas layout we started back in September is now about one day from being complete.  I need to finish off the outside perimeter and skirt yet.  All the track and trains are working great, and my wife did all the scenery.  (I'm the Engineer and she is the Artist).  The layout is located in our living room in front of our fireplace, and is 48" deep and 13 feet long.

The layout consists of a 3 rail scene with a second village scene on the fireplace mantle above the layout.  The inner most rail is a pair of excursion cars and a small steam engine.  The center track is a 10 car Christmas freight train with two Alaska diesels.  I need to reverse the second engine yet and make a consist.  The outer rail is my Bachmann EM-1 steam locomotive and the Alaska "McKinley Explorer" train.

Scenery starts on the right in Winter and migrates to the left in the Fall.  Right section combines a mountain scene  and moves into a winter village.  Left portion is a lake with a pavilion and a car show sporting 1920-present luxury cars, muscle cars and hot rods, plus the Batmobile!  She put a lot of work into the little details.  It is designed to be dissassembled and put away each year and re-assembled the next Christmas season.  Trackwork and landscaping is pretty much permanently attached to the platform, but everything else can be removed for storage.

Hope you enjoy our first attempt at model railroading.

Winter into Fall.

Here is the village on the fireplace mantle above the layout.  No operational trains, only displays.

Hope you enjoy.

M1FredQ

Hey rbcye1

Thanks for sharing your layout it's very thoughtfully done. Having built model airplanes

I like how you incorporated the a/c into the layout. I plan to hang a bunch of my model

aircraft above the layout and was planning to have a small airplane mu seam on the layout.

I noticed you use those 2x4 horses for the legs on the layout. That's what I plan to use.

How do you prevent them from creeping closed??

Thanks for sharing your ideas!!!!!!!!