News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balrog21

Thanks M1, I've started the crazy endeavor to try collect the IC/ICG entire fleet of Sd40/SD40-2's. I'm using mostly dummy engines so I'm really not looking for power, but I'm off to a real good start. That was the power move in the vid. The Chessie and BN will stay as is but the UP is getting a facelift. Along with a few others that weren't in the video.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Finished the basic table on layout #3 8). Going to play around with it as is for while. Till it "tells" me what it wants to look like  :D

This is the first table layout I did for myself, helped with a few others when I was young, but this is my first solo "benchwork". Total cost....$2 for one 2x4! All the rest was laying around,(plywood donated), including some unused Super O track I found in a box for L's "the General" gift set from the late 50s.
I had planned on normal legs then I saw an old Post War style layout built on shelves and remembered a couple of shelves, and two quarts of green oil based paint kicking around since the 70s(no lead ;)). Stirring it took awhile, but it was still good paint. A few shelf modifications, a few days, and this is what I had.
There are two folding legs at the rear attached with strong folding hinges that lock into place. I found those in the family junk hardware too. The top is just sitting on the shelves, blocks and weight keep it locked in place. I hope everything fits on the shelves!
Just a basic PW style loopy layout, but what do you think so far?

WoundedBear

With all due respect.......I'm not sure what to think.

I know, and admit, that sometimes I take things the wrong way on these forums but , looking at the photos you posted....I am left wondering if you are being serious or trying to play a prank? These kind of look like the photos that a BIGJOE fellow posted a while ago, and I wasn't sure what to make of them either.

Curiously,

Sid

GG1onFordsDTandI

How vicious, Sid! WoundedBear?...sounds right  ::).  Whats to "get" about a TABLE built from what I had laying around. Looks better than a bunch of raw wood legs in my eyes. Maybe you should research O gauge "dealer layouts" of the 50s. They were simple, and fun. I run trains for fun first, not always modeling them. Lighten up, not everyone counts every rivet, or even wants to. Ive done the whole big diorama bit with others, and with automobiles, its just not for me anymore. I outgrew it(for now).  And besides nothing here is permanent.

Well thanks for your opinion anyhow, I did ask.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Oh yes, forgot, mine functions.

rogertra

One of the problems on a board like this is we have a wide variety of opinions on what a model railroad is.

To some of it's prototype accuracy either through modelling an actual prototype or prototypical freelancing, like I do.  No tail chasing, point to point or point to staging yard, realistic operation, realistic scenery (when we get around to it), "scale" track work, etc., the sort of thing you see often featured in MR and RMC magazines.

To others, it's modelling steam, diesel, anything in fact and running it all at the same time around a continuous loop, code 100 rail, set track and No. 4 switches etc., etc..

To others, it's O scale tinplate with tinplate "scenery", rocket firing flat cars, giraffe's heads out the top of a boxcar etc., etc..

To others, somewhere in between.

The point is, none of the above are "right" and none of them are "wrong".  If the owner has fun, then that's all that matters.

You know where my interest lay but that makes me neither right nor wrong but it does make me discriminate over what model railroads I prefer to see.  And there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Desertdweller

There is nothing wrong with GG1's layout.  If that is what he is happy with, more power to him!

Remember, this is a non-competitive hobby.  We do not build these model railroads to please anyone but ourselves.  We share images of them so others can see and enjoy them.  But they are really built for ourselves, as it should be.

And it is better to have a small model railroad that can be maintained and works, than a big one that doesn't work.

Les

WoundedBear

I wasn't trying to be mean, vicious or anything nasty. All I did was ask a simple question in a polite manner. I'm so very sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Sid

GG1onFordsDTandI

We're good Sid! Hope your ribs are OK from the pokes  :-* or the laughter ;D

Jerrys HO

GG1

Kinda reminds me of mine but I had two sheets of plywood. Scenery then was a lot easier than it is for me now. Then ...  set a lumber shed down on green painted plwood.
Now... model from the forest to the mill to the yard.
Lot more room now than then. ;D
I really like the shelves for legs. Nice way to display your trains or store them.

Jerry

Doneldon

GG1-

You absolutely captured the flavor of both store and home Lionel layouts from days gone by. It looks like a lot of fun and I'll bet it has outstanding kid appeal. Although your layout isn't what I would build for myself as a serious layout, I'd be more than happy to have it to fool around with. I think it's great!

-- D

M1FredQ

I eventually hope to post pictures of what I have had up the last few years.

I picked up some hollow damaged doors from Menards for $5 a piece(5 doors) total

30inches x 84inches put them up on some cheapie wood horses covered it with indoor outdoor green carpet and proceeded to set up a 3 line layout with line in the middle going through our Makeshift town so a bumper car or the Peter Witt goes through.

We have set up the old tube track in between the lines as a "rail yard". Menards sells these nice looking buildings at Christmas Time and we have accumulated a number of them.  Well Joey and I have had a lot of fun running the various engines, rolling stock, and sets we hav picked up.

We keep trying to tear it down because we have someone now who is willing to help us build what I have dubbed a "Balrog Like Table" that Balrog posted on another thread. Our builder has built many layouts for people but agreed to only do the initial table set up and then Joe and I do the rest.

I can appreciate what GG-1  has as mine is not much better but we have all kinds of experimental "areas" all over the place as we have tried out various types of carpet colors the latest is the stuff that looks like real lawn. We paint different colors. We use empty Clorox wipes containers paint them up and use black straws to simulate piping and abra ka dabra oil refinery!!! The kid is having a great time. The buildings are a hodge podge of HO and those Menards Ceramic as well as some real O-scale.

Joey made a Coal tower using legos which we painted and it looks really OK !!! Key is we are practicing and trying to have fun until we get the green light that our builder is ready to make our table for us.

I always admire what a lot of folks can do with their layouts. It's really inspirational. I also like the fact my son is using his imagination to work the lay-out and create all kinds of things like over head bridges and under bridges, trestles, delivery platforms, oil refineries and barrel delivery platforms etc.

Today we took some of my 1/48 scale airplanes and made a airport runway. With the wife gone for a few hours we ran the trains for over an hour!!!!!!

It was a good day!!

M1FredQ

Just wanted to say I really like what everyone is sharing on this thread and it has all been a great help!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

GG1onFordsDTandI

Just to show I can be nit picky in my modeling, a few autos left from diorama days of old below. The scenery boards couldn't come with me when I moved 20+ years ago, I witnessed someone saving them from the garbage man though. All my toys and models I could fit in a single showcase were kept. A lot of the stuff will eventually end up on "mean green"(this layouts new name :D) some might become part of a garden layout in G. Another hobby should become apparent too, I own real ones and toys(sold a few hundred toys this year, bought after the move, and got more trains). Best pics I could manage outside the showcase, which is semi-buried in the basement.

No master cylinder or brake lines....not aceptable!

Ignition wires, fuel lines, and throttle cable and linkage?

Not all car models are "scale" either.

For the drag racers ;D Before you pooh pooh a Beetle as a dragster please research Deano's Dyno-soar and realize this car caused rule changes in NHRA as to not embarrass some V8 gasers of the day. Watch this launch too! (not Deano) http://youtu.be/o3MpngZkBuo

For watching the races from up high, a copy of my real van, with some liberties taken. Couldn't aim the camera higher but there are two grills there(one on the platform), with steaks, hamburger, and brats, complete with sear marks on the meat. Back seat folds into a bed. Fridge right were it should be, at the door for easy access. No, I don't drink but friends do. "All I wanted was a Pepsi, but they wouldn't give it to me" ;)".

Just to show I know other cars exist too. The red Riviera is my favorite, slammed right.(lowered)

Hope this proves I can be a little guilty of "rivet counting" too.  :-\ Im just too busy having fun right now 8)

jbrock27

BigSlo could have never been this creative or organized.
Keep Calm and Carry On