News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

utdave

heres my grandsons frist train and hes layout he did all by himself     hes 4 yrs old

GG1onFordsDTandI

I bet it would be bigger if he had more track :D Looks he's about old enough for an O gauge or Lil Big Hauler to me ;)

Balrog21

GG1onFordsDTandI

Didn't check Bals video out 100% till tonight. My loss ::). Wow, talk about expansion! Thats progress, in a BIG way. Long trains are going to look great on that. 8)
Are you going to miss caboose chasing ???::):D.

raveoned

Balrog,

That is fantastic!  I like how things are set up before the track is laid, but you can still easily visualize it all there!

That layout would work well with either modern freights or some luxury passenger trains making those wide, sweeping curves.

Balrog21

Thanks, GG1, and no I'm not going to miss it in the least bit.
and Thanks Raven, it's been a long road to get it to that stage..lots of reworking, etc, but I'm happy with the results thus far.

jward

the big issue I see is that the grade to your upper level will be about 6%. that's way too steep and your locomotives won't pull much on this grade. another problem is that you have 18r reverse curves both in the back where the upper level joins the main loop, and on the elevated spur track.

you can fix both with a simple rearranging of your track components. you should have at least 6" of straight track between left and right hand curves. and you can move the junctions between the upper and lower lines to the ends of the right side curve, with the switches as part of the curve, the right hand switch will be to the rear, and the left in the front. this will also add enough length to the upper line that you can reduce the grade to a much more acceptable 4%.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

M1FredQ

Balrog21

As usual thank you multiple times for sharing!!!!!

My kids enjoy watching!!!!!!!!!!!

8stargazer

Quote from: jward on October 12, 2013, 09:17:34 AM
the big issue I see is that the grade to your upper level will be about 6%. that's way too steep and your locomotives won't pull much on this grade. another problem is that you have 18r reverse curves both in the back where the upper level joins the main loop, and on the elevated spur track.

you can fix both with a simple rearranging of your track components. you should have at least 6" of straight track between left and right hand curves. and you can move the junctions between the upper and lower lines to the ends of the right side curve, with the switches as part of the curve, the right hand switch will be to the rear, and the left in the front. this will also add enough length to the upper line that you can reduce the grade to a much more acceptable 4%.

Thanks jward.    I had mocked it up earlier this morning and knew right away that I'd have grade issues.  Also, I've been using Anyrail for about 2-3 months now and just now discovered the 'show slope pcts' option (feel pretty stupid about that discovery)

Anyway, the right hand turnout on the right side is pretty much located to dodge the door casing that I left in place.  If we ever sell this house, I'm certain I'd have to revert that area back into the 5x5 closet, so I don't want to disturb the casing.  I'd have to wreck out the surface area but all of the support structure is screwed in.   In the long run I lowered the far end on the upper line to 2 1/2" and hit 4% both directions.  I've decided to enclose both the upper and lower line in a double tunnel, with the 2 1/2" height difference.  I figure that'd be pretty cool and the 28 month old grandson loves tunnels.   I did as you suggested and put a 9" straight track between the 'S' curve on the high siding.  I was able to elevate that from 2 1/2" to 3 5/8" with the last three sections flat at 3 5/8" so the parked cars wouldn't roll down the hill.

For a bit of humor relief, this morning after I mocked up the elevations with blocks of wood, I took a caboose and let it go from the back going downhill on the right side.  It rolled all the way down, around the front end full curve, back up the left hand turnout on the left and up about 1/2 way.  It then rolled back to about the middle of the full curve.  I said to myself 'this isn't gonna work'

Thanks again jward.

jward

I would strongly urge you to do whatever it takes to eliminate that s curve at the rear of the layout. it will cause derailments in an area you won't be able to reach easily. there are ways to work around your limitations.

why are those 18r s curves bad? when your cars enter the curve, the ends swing out. the couplers pivot in their boxes to compensate for the changed angle between the cars, but they are limited to about 30 degrees of swing. on an s curve, adjacent cars ends swing out to opposite sides, and on a sharp curve like 18r, the couplers try to swing farther than the coupler boxes will allow, forcing the cars off the rails.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Lonnie-

You just might be able to have your cake and eat it too, or at least your curve and cars on the track, too. Move the end of the turnout at the rear of the layout to the right as far as you can while leaving 6-9" of straight between the end curve and the turnout. Then use a very mild turnout -- at least #8 or maybe even #10 or #12 -- so that reverse curve is straightened out. I think that will work okay as long as you don't try to run overly-long equipment like scale 80-foot passenger cars. I'm pretty sure anything up to 60-65' should make the transition to your outside track. Just back slowly through the turnouts.

You can keep your steep grades if you use geared locomotives. You can also gain elevation with less steep grades if you use switchbacks.

-- D

8stargazer

Doneldon, jward,

Thanks to both of you pointing out the possible (and probable) issues in my layout.  I was pretty busy yesterday doing other things but tinkered on Anyrail last night and on and off today.

As per suggestions by the both of you, I have eliminated any 's' curves directly connected with two 18" radius curves.  I placed a 9" straight between the only one left.   I moved both the LH and RH turnouts to the end of the curve that is on the right of the drawing.  I altered the higher level to not be directly over the lower level.  I've set the highest elevation to 3" on the Anyrail drawing, but mocked it up at 2 1/2" as the highest elevation.

Again I thank both of you for pointing out the issues.  Basically I've set this up with what I have on hand.  This is my first go with DCC as well as EZ track.  I bought the Dynamis Spectrum 56"x38" set with a C&O locomotive, purchased a set of the identical track on ebay, which included two DCC LH turnouts.  I added a LH & RH turnout pair-remote, a dozen 9" straight, a DCC diesel and a few rolling stock to run two trains.  I bought it all from 'thefavoritespot' in one purchase and stayed on a modest budget that I set for myself up front.

Once I get this all done and down the road, I'll eventually replace the radius curve on the upper right hand side with a RH turnout to head to the right and all the way down the remaining 12' wall.  I'll have to figure out how to bring a return back to the point of origin .    Give me something to much later on.  For now, I think this will entertain my and my 28 month old grandson for quite awhile.  He came over yesterday and when he saw the track mocked up with a 'boose (as he calls it) he literally screamed!

Doneldon

Lonnie-

This looks much improved. I'm sure it will operate for you and your grandson just fine. I'm glad to see you purchased your items from the Favorite Spot. It's been a well regarded seller on this board for a long time..

Please keep us up to date on your progress.
                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

8stargazer

I gave my 28 month old grandson a few pieces of Lionel 027 track as well as a few train cars.  He pretty much did this on his own.  I did have to put a couple of pieces together since it's an odd shape he's put together and he had a couple of pieces upside down.

utdave

8 star  gaz   kids really like doing what dads do or grandpa does .    and my grandson only found  2 tubs of track and cars and engines.   i have a long tub yet to get out for him to put togather   but it was hes xmas gift this year and buying mattel train stuff at garage sales for hardly nothing.   its battery operated with remote sound controls.  he loves honking the horns.     and i bet you had just as much fun as him.
papa  utah Dave