News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: 8stargazer on October 16, 2013, 09:42:13 AM
I gave my 28 month old grandson a few pieces of Lionel 027 track as well as a few train cars.  He pretty much did this on his own.  I did have to put a couple of pieces together since it's an odd shape he's put together and he had a couple of pieces upside down.

Not enough good can be said for exposure to toys, where kids are able to form geometric shapes and patterns. He's obviously focused on the geometry and lining up the pin couplings vs upside down track. Try making some 30 and 22.5 curves if you have some more extras around. Some half straights too. They will provide him enough flexibility to more successfully complete his more complex concepts. Show him the size, and new angles, with a side by side comparison, and stand back :D Being limited to 45s can be frustrating to a builder :-\, even if you're 2yrs old...especially if you're 2  :-\ ??? >:( :-[ :'(   (I speak from memory 8))  

And save those pictures! They will need it for posts here in the year 2113! ;)   

Lucky kids? Or lucky Grandpas! :)

ho rocks

hey were are those big em1s I cant find them in the pictures post some with either of those steam giants in it please

regards and regrets ho rocks

jonathan

I've posted EM-1s in the HO section.  However, here's a few shots of my big locos on my layout:

Regards,

Jonathan

8stargazer

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on October 17, 2013, 05:23:59 AM
Quote from: 8stargazer on October 16, 2013, 09:42:13 AM
I gave my 28 month old grandson a few pieces of Lionel 027 track as well as a few train cars.  He pretty much did this on his own.  I did have to put a couple of pieces together since it's an odd shape he's put together and he had a couple of pieces upside down.

Not enough good can be said for exposure to toys, where kids are able to form geometric shapes and patterns. He's obviously focused on the geometry and lining up the pin couplings vs upside down track. Try making some 30 and 22.5 curves if you have some more extras around. Some half straights too. They will provide him enough flexibility to more successfully complete his more complex concepts. Show him the size, and new angles, with a side by side comparison, and stand back :D Being limited to 45s can be frustrating to a builder :-\, even if you're 2yrs old...especially if you're 2  :-\ ??? >:( :-[ :'(   (I speak from memory 8))  

And save those pictures! They will need it for posts here in the year 2113! ;)   

Lucky kids? Or lucky Grandpas! :)

I'd say lucky Grandpas.   He is a joy unto my soul.  I have 5 grandkids, the oldest is 11 and lives in Seattle (I'm in Texas)  The other three are in Lawton, Oklahoma-where I'll be this weekend.  But this little fellow is around me everyday.  I'm self-employed so all last week I kept him here with me and we played with trains.  I saw the picture of your grandson with that plastic set.  Yours is further evidence that if we as adults, give toys that stimulate the mind, we are doing a far, far better thing for them in the long run than handing them a video game - which I think dulls the senses in the long run. Keep at it utdave!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: 8stargazer on October 22, 2013, 08:38:09 PM
...toys that stimulate the mind, we are doing a far, far better thing for them in the long run than handing them a video game - which I think dulls the senses in the long run. Keep at it utdave

A video game can also stimulate the mind, developing eye hand coordination, and problem solving skills. I.E. toy variety is important, video is not all bad. Right now, hands on playing with different substrates, trumps most video games for sure, but video can be an important teaching tool too. Think of the games as fast moving puzzles 8).

8stargazer

Progress so far.  Jward, I know that I have two of the 's' curves.  However, I have 3-4" between each one and have not had one issue at all.  I don't plan on having long rolling stock which I think will be ok in the long run.  I've ran both trains (as seen in the picture) over and over and over.  The only issue I've had is the turnouts that I addressed in the HO forum.  I may have to file the points as you suggested (I think it was you)

I even programed the two left DCC turnouts last night.  I did some research on here as well as the internet.  The manual is fairly brief on the programming.  I was glad to discover that the turnout being programmed needs to be the only one that is powered up on the track.  It took a couple of times but I managed.  A rookie, especially with DCC, was quite proud of that moment!

Jerrys HO

8SG,

Very nicely done! Lot's of possibilities for scenery. You may have said this and I missed it but, have you anything in mind?
The turnout issues are a little challenging when you do have one creating problems but they can be remedied.

Jerry

8stargazer

Jerry,

Yes it is a challenging layout considering the turnout situation.  It's about as good as I could come up in order to pretty much have and upper and lower level with 2 trains running on separate levels.  Of course it's pretty easy to let them follow each other.  The two terminal sidings have DCC control so that's pretty easy.  One came with the Dynamis set, the other came with the exact set of EZ track (completely new) that I won on an ebay auction.  I purchased the right turnout (seen) and the left turnout (not visible in the picture) as remotes since this is my first time with DCC.  The oddest thing is after I resolved some derail issues regarding the 2-8-0 steam loco, I discovered that I can leave the left turnout switched for the curve on the lower level, and the downhill train will travel right across it with no issues.  With that being said, I only have to deal with the right turnout.

Scenery:  (my wife is very anxious about getting the scenery started)  I wanted to get all of the design flaws addressed (several of you have helped in that regard) and all of the 'bugs' out before I got that far.  I'm going to build a 'mountain' in the far left and right corners.  Down the long side on the right, it will taper downward to ground level.  The lower track will have a short tunnel that starts on the left beyond the access hole and emerge at the back and beyond the access hole to the right. (The train on the high level will 'disappear' beyond the hill over said tunnel) We live in central Texas at the northern fringe of the Hill Country, and the terrain is very rocky with gray/white stones showing, several hills, and a lot of mesquite trees.  I want to duplicate that as best as possible with a few trees and ground cover here and there. 

I've used all of the track that I had (even all of the 3/4"-2" set I bought).  The main siding I will add 2-3 left turnouts in place of the straights and have 3-4 pieces of 9" straight directly from them giving me about 4 'industrial' sidings on the lower level.  I also plan to build a mountain where the high siding dead ends and have a tunnel from the far side with enough room for one ore car to go into.  Way down the road if all goes well, I'll eventually use this siding and bring it on down as part of an expansion.  On the other side I've allowed enough room to add a turnout that will be an exit from this layout with the the one on the right I just mentioned, as a return leg.  There is 12' of wall left and I'll want two tracks running to the other side of the room that will enter and exit from another 'town'.  Big plans I know.  For now, I wanted to get as much into and out of what I have.   

The last layout I built was mostly wood and weighs a ton.  From this board I've learned a whole lot in my short time here.  1" blue or pink styrofoam is our friend.

Lonnie

Balrog21

@8, nice one man! Operation fun times ahead!

Well, got a chance to run some trains this evening. Kinda hard to do with the lil one gone and me by myself with no switches hooked up. =) But I managed. Anywho, enjoy the vid if you care to take a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YddbsoeTuSE&feature=share&list=UUHt0AMIYW5JAFV_Ja1wiVPg

Now, let's see more pics from everyone! Nice steamers, Jonathan!

Here are two babies I picked up for literally a steal. 2 BLI SD40-2's - Paragon 2, Undecorated, yeppers they will be getting the orange and white ICG paint in the very near future. I got these two engine for $85.00 a piece; a steal considering they list for $269.00-$289.00, and Lord of mighty don't even get me started on that !@#$% Walthers transfer table and pit extension. JerryO will be coming over very soon to help me with it. I'm having him there to safe guard the transfer table and pit extension's life expectancy if I do it alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR0-GrwqVmU&feature=share&list=UUHt0AMIYW5JAFV_Ja1wiVPg

Best,
Bal

8stargazer

Thanks Balrog 21.   Man I drool over the space and layout that you're building.  I've laid mine out with the possible expansion in the future by allowing an outbound and inbound turnout.

Anyway, my 28 month old grandson loves watching 'choo-choo's' on here when he's around.  Normally a typical evening when he's here is to watch some real trains on youtube, mostly steam powered since that's his favorite.  And then I come here to see if anything new is on here.  Always good to see your latest progress.  I have the blue/yellow Santa Fe and the Santa Fe caboose that you have.  I feel your pain in trying to video.  I haven't hooked up the two remote turnouts on mine but they are pretty easy to manage from the open end.  The two turnouts on the sidings are DCC.

Once I get done with the wiring and scenery I'm going to purchase some of the Santa Fe rolling stock similar to what you have.   I'll probably add another diesel engine, one that has sound.  I bought the blue/yellow Santa Fe since my wife is fond of that one (as am I) but it doesn't have sound.  I live in Brownwood, TX and the BNSF services this area.  We see the blue/yellow from time to time.  I spent most of my life near Tyler Texas in the eastern part of the state and grew up watching the Cotton Belt short line right down the street.  I've found a double diesel set that is DCC with sound and think I'll add that one in the future as well as some Cotton Belt rolling stock.

By the way, those are some nice steamers you posted Jonathan. 

Went to Lawton, OK this weekend to visit my son and daughter in law and the two grand daughters and newest grandson.  Stopped at the railroad museum in Wichita Falls on the way home and got a nice pick of Rylan, my 28 year old grandson and 'partner' in model railroading

RAM

He sure is small for a 28 years old.

Doneldon

Quote from: 8stargazer on October 27, 2013, 10:58:55 PM
Anyway, my 28 month old grandson loves watching 'choo-choo's' on here when he's around.  Normally a typical evening when he's here is to watch some real trains on youtube, mostly steam powered since that's his favorite. 

Lonnie-

That's a fine looking young man you have there. And I like him even more now that you've revealed that he's a steam buff. Diesels are fine -- they get the job done and many have great paint jobs -- but steam locomotives are the best. They're alive in a way that diesels can never be.
                                                                                                                                                                                   -- D

8stargazer

Quote from: RAM on October 28, 2013, 03:37:28 PM
He sure is small for a 28 years old.

ooops...  Well, he really doesn't each much...

8stargazer

Quote from: Doneldon on October 28, 2013, 03:48:19 PM
Quote from: 8stargazer on October 27, 2013, 10:58:55 PM
Anyway, my 28 month old grandson loves watching 'choo-choo's' on here when he's around.  Normally a typical evening when he's here is to watch some real trains on youtube, mostly steam powered since that's his favorite. 

Lonnie-

That's a fine looking young man you have there. And I like him even more now that you've revealed that he's a steam buff. Diesels are fine -- they get the job done and many have great paint jobs -- but steam locomotives are the best. They're alive in a way that diesels can never be.
                                                                                                                                                                                   -- D

That is very true Doneldon.  For him, the steam, the chuffing, and the whistle are what excites him.  I was watching one video with him last spring and it was a Pennrail video talking about that very thing.  The steam locos seem 'alive' with all of the steam belching out, the smoke pouring from the stack and it's very movement down the track.   I bought the Dynamis for the wireless handset but the steam loco was the prize for me in the long run since I knew that little guy would go nuts

smcgill