News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balrog21

Great work guys. Sorry for the long hiatus just been really busy of late, but here is the latest from what I've been up to. About got it nailed down. I'm sure with everything there will be some minor changes but after some longs thoughts and too many reworks to even count I'm pretty darn happy with this layout. It gives me more switching ops, more use of the real estate and I even got to put in a small intermodal yard to boot! The only thing I really lose is the old valley off the left of the original one, but it's no great loss, I'd rather have something to switch and play with than looking at a bunch of trees and wishing I would have done something different. Attaching a few vids as well. Just some work in progress things. 1 is my yard tower that I've mod'd and chopped up a bit, and the second are some of the plastic plant buildings.
I do hope everyone is gearing up for a nice Christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1JDFDOCY4w&feature=share&list=UUHt0AMIYW5JAFV_Ja1wiVPg&index=3

also, in this second one you can see some new power I've gotten in as well.
http://youtu.be/sAtPpQ-ISYQ

jonathan

Enjoying your progress!  Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken G Price

Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Balrog21

Had a great time with Jerry this weekend working on the layout. MUCH KUDOS goes to him for helping me. Anywho, here is a vid of what we got done. Enjoy!
Best,
Bal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzaA07t7tLw&feature=share&list=UUHt0AMIYW5JAFV_Ja1wiVPg

dennisbeanlarson

Parker Creek & Eastern Railroad

I built this small switching layout in 1993, and I continue to add small vignettes to if occasionally. Mostly for the last 5-6 years I've been contributing time to a large local basement layout of a friend. I've been adding a pulpwood run and a paper mill to that project.

This layout is 20" x 6'0" and I've used all the space I think. There's a 9" radius at one end that goes to the switchback to the upper level which is about a third over the top of the stenfeldt building. Yes, HO can make a 9" radius, originally I used a re-motored re-geared Manuta 0-4-0 with tender, now I use an SW1. The curve is very well constructed - easement and super-elevated and two 40' athearn gondolas will make the curve....just barely.

Looks like the local is late and the yard agent is pretty upset.
And below, is the view from the left end - all the place and business names are after family... Lindsay is our daughter - 33 now, but 11 when I built this in the living room. It look about a year to build. It takes an hour of real time to complete all the switching moves. Hope to install NCE DCC one of these days.

Dennis - Traverse City, Michogan

Ken G Price

Welcome. And a very nice looking layout indeed. :)
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

jonathan

Dennis,

Magazine quality scenes!

Thanks for sharing.  Very impressive!

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

Dennis,

Very nice detail to the scenery. Would love to see more.

Jerry

Hunt

Balrog21 ... an aside –

It may not matter to you, but in case you have not taken it into consideration - the Bachmann HO E-Z Track roadbed, except for some mainline track, is way too high for yards, sidings, etc.  As you add true to scale structures in areas not on mainline, the track roadbed out of scale size will stick out. You can compensate by raising the ground grade thus reducing the height of the roadbed but that can be expensive and add more weight than you want on the layout support structure.  Look at photos of yards, sidings and area around turntable.

Balrog21

Thanks, Hunt for the info, but I already found that out while doing some placements of buildings next to the bachman track. To compensate for this, I'm using Peco code 100 flex track and I have to use code 83 for the transfer table and engine facility. All my yards and industries will have Peco code 100 flex run to them off of the main line. Support won't be a problem. I made my tables able to withstand my 5 year old and my wee lil one that will be coming up in the next few years. I.e. Legs are 4x4's, with  2x6's for the frames, with a 3/4 sheet for the top. You could have a party on these suckers. The only part I'm a little worried about is the Intermodal yard entrance. But I will elevate it without too much trouble. Thanks though for the heads up!
Bal

jonathan

Been tinkering with a double track crossing over the years... it's taken a long time. I keep finding other things to do.

Anyway, I made the road from cereal boxes, glued down and painted a billion coats to water proof it.  I finally got around to putting in a wood crossing from Blair Line and installing a flasher circuit.  The gates have armatures, but I haven't felt froggy enough to try motorizing them.  Hence you see little wire stands to keep the gates level for now. 

You may, or may not be able to make out the motion sensors between the track ties:

Yes, I still have to stain and weather the wood.  There's always something left to do...  ;D

Finally, as an aside, I completed several months of work on a brass locomotive.  It features an upgraded motor, working directional lights, crew, coal load, weathering, and so on.  Surprisingly it runs great.  I must have got the gearing just right because I can doublehead it with my Spectrum Heavy Mountains.

Happy New Year...

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

It all looks great, as per usual!

Happy New Year to you and yours as well!
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Jonathan.

Looks really good, well done.

Happy New Year...

Regards,

Roger.

utdave

Thumbs up on Jonathans railway    someday i hope i can get that far with mine      DAve