News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Prototypes vs. Models (WP&YR and Uintah)

Started by Romark, July 27, 2007, 06:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanAmes

The popular opinion is that the Bachmann 4-6-0 was modeled after ET&WNC #12.  However for many years when asked at train shows Lee Riley has insisted the prototype is ET&WNC #10 which is a smaller locomotive.  I wonder what are the major diferences in size between the two 4-6-0s and is it possible that the common assumption we have all made is wrong?

Stan Ames

Charlie Mutschler

Interesting post, Stan.  Going by the published roster in Ferrell's _Tweetsie Country_, I come up with Nos. 10, 11, 12, and 14 being mechanically identical.  16 x 22 inch cylinders, 45 inch drivers.  The Baldwin erecting cards would be helpful in clearing things up. 

Nos. 8, Second 8, and 9 were also Baldwin 4-6-0's, but these were smaller - 15 x 22 inch cylinders, 45 inch drivers. 

Interesting, and worth more study. 

tac

Charlie - you wrote - 'Scale models of WP&Y locomotives in 1:22 or 1:20.3 are not common, and some models in either scale may be more accurate than others.'

I take it that you are referring to the Aster/LGB 1:22.5 model of #73.  I did a series of measurements on my model and the real thing a few years back when it had just come out of major rebuild, and found that with the exception of the oversize drivers, the rest of it was pretty near the mark.  As might have been expected - Aster made the actual locomotive and valve gear - LGB made the running gear based on their then recently-introduced Mike in 1/27th scale, but did not change the size of the drive wheels.   

I am trying to pursuade Cliff of Accucraft US to undertake producing #73 - the upcoming EBT mike is simply an earlier version of this model...

Best wishes

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Great Western

Greetings,
                 A very informative and helpful thread here: thank you folks for sharing your knowledge.

I have a model of the Bachmann "Annie" White Pass 10.  Modellers licence has allowed this to become No. 10 on the Oliver & North Fork Railroad.  I see, from the info on the link provided that the loco was damaged in what was a very serious fire in 1943 but there seems a good possibility that she was rebuilt  and purchased by the present owners the O&NF who retained the original running number.

Well that's my story, and I am sticking to it yer 'onnor.     :D
Best wishes,    Alan