News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale thomas question.

Started by brendan2008, April 30, 2012, 11:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan2008

I have an HO scale Thomas model. Unfortunately, it doesnt run on the layout I am using. When I put it on the track, it doesnt run at all on 1 track and extremely slow on the other tracks. Like it moves 1cm in 1min. Any suggestions? The layout I am using is the HO scale Layout at the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum. Id like to have a working Thomas for this weekends Day out with Thomas event at the museum.

RW James

Could the layout possibly be DCC?

Have you tired running a known runner with the same settings? That is, if another HO DC locomotive runs well, and Thomas fails, then I would say there is something wrong with Thomas.
Rick

brendan2008

Quote from: RW James on May 01, 2012, 03:49:52 PM
Could the layout possibly be DCC?

Have you tired running a known runner with the same settings? That is, if another HO DC locomotive runs well, and Thomas fails, then I would say there is something wrong with Thomas.

The layout is 100%to DC. Almost all the trains for the layout run properly. Thomas doesn't run properly.

RW James

Well - not running or even sputtering running can be easily attributed to dirty wheels. But running 1 cm/min is just weird. On the other hand, I would love to be able to run my stuff that slow.
Rick

brendan2008

Quote from: RW James on May 01, 2012, 07:14:57 PM
Well - not running or even sputtering running can be easily attributed to dirty wheels. But running 1 cm/min is just weird. On the other hand, I would love to be able to run my stuff that slow.

I would be ok with running it slow, but its the railroad museum. We run anywhere from 2-6 trains on the loops and 3 Back and forth trains. During the thomas event, i would like to show off a Thomas for the kids. But as he runs slow on the loops (which are best seen for the kids) and doesnt run at all on the Back and forth tracks, I am thinking i should just attach a knuckle coupler and have a locomotive push a train with Thomas at the front of it. If Thomas just needs time to heat up and run better, that might work.

RW James

I wouldn't do that. You'll end up damaging one or both of the locomotives. Have you cleaned and lubricated Thomas?

It really doesn't make sense that it shouldn't run better than that. Can you set up a test track with a dedicated power pack?
Rick

brendan2008

Quote from: RW James on May 01, 2012, 10:45:43 PM
I wouldn't do that. You'll end up damaging one or both of the locomotives. Have you cleaned and lubricated Thomas?

It really doesn't make sense that it shouldn't run better than that. Can you set up a test track with a dedicated power pack?

Never been run before. Brand new. Looks like it has a ton of lubricant. Runs well on test track in the back room. If i am running very low voltage/amps for the layout, would that be a likely idea?

RW James

If it runs well on your test track - then I am back to my original thought - there is something different about the museum layout controls.

Is there someone at the museum that would know what that might be?

I know on our museum layout, we can switch between DCC and DC. There might be something like this there.
Rick