News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What scale is it?

Started by avlisk, April 24, 2012, 06:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avlisk

I am brand new to G gauge trains and considering the construction of a garden layout. But, under the umbrella of G gauge are a number of scales. I don't want to mix and match just because they all run on the same track. I want to have everything in one and only one scale. I'm finding that this isn't important to most people, and not even important to Bachmann, as they have large scale trains for sale here on their website where they don't say what scale it is! This is proving to be a barrier to my getting started and a barrier to purchasing a Bachmann train, which I'm sure they would like to correct. How about putting the scale info into the product description, Mr. Bach-man. I know, some of the products have this info (but not all), and besides, I'm supposed to know or research elsewhere what scale it is. I just don't understand marketing, I guess.

petertoot

hi there,check the bachmann spectrum they have there scale,navigate the website,online forums,loco bill may chime in,good luck,peter ;) ;)

R and K RR Products

I'll try to help
For the most part the "Big Hauler" line is 22.5 scale with a rubber ruler and for the most part  the "Spectrum" line is 20.3 scale and true to scale.

Rodney
Trying to make a better world for the 20.3 modeler

Loco Bill Canelos

Avlisk
Bachmann basically has two lines of product The Standard Line (aka Big Hauler Line) and the Spectrum line.   In most cases the Standard Line is nominally 1:22.5 and the Spectrum line is 1:20.3.  There are exceptions in the standard line, such as the short boxcars, gondolas and flat cars.  Reviewing the catalog indicates that Large scale items which have no scale listed are 1:22.5 while all 1:20.3 items are identified as such in the catalog.

No matter what you do in the end, it is best that you look at the product you wish to buy in person and make your own judgement as to whether it is suitable for your use or not

Hope this helps.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!