News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Swiches/turn outs

Started by SteveWard3928, May 14, 2012, 04:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveWard3928

Well I have yet another question....this is my first garden train. The track goes down a fence line, around a
shed back to the same fence line track (for about 15 feet) then it will go off the fence line track and into a flower garden.
My question:

----Is it possible for the switch (I will have 2)  to move automatically as the locomotive approaches?   As the train goes down the main track (fence line)  switch #1 has to stay straight so the train goes behind our shed. Once it goes around the shed the switch needs to move so the locomotive can get back on the fence line track.... just in the other direction.  Hope I explained that well enough, if not just ask and I will try to clarify.
Steve
S&S

Gonna get blamed for it...you might as well do it!!

Chuck N

LGB made electric switch throws that can be controlled with a magnet on the bottom of the engine.  Their system is called EPL. 

If you are running track power you have another more serious problem.  If you are returning the train back on the same track after going around the shed, you have a dead short.  Follow your wiring around the track.  You will quickly discover that if the positive rail is on the outside , next to the fence it then is on the inside after going around the shed.  There are kits on the market that can be used to change the polarity of the track when the train is in the reversing loop.  LGB made one and if you are handy with electrons, you can build one.

My recommendation is to add a second main line parallel to the one next to the fence for the return trip.  In the long run it will be a much easier solution and you won't need to worry about automatic switch throws. 

If you are running battery power you can forget any problems with reversing loops.

Chuck

Kevin Strong

There are a few products on the market that will automatically control switches and reverse the polarity of the voltage for automatic reverse loops. Two that come off the top of my head would be Massoth and RR-Concepts. Dallee Electronics may be able to do the same thing, but nothing in their product line is dedicated for that purpose. I'd probably recommend the RR-Concepts "Yardmaster" or "Stationmaster" module first, as I believe that has the ability within the one box to control both the switch and the voltage. The Massoth unit--to my recollection--only controls the polarity of the voltage. You'd need a second system to control the switch.

Later,

K