News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-6-0 Alco

Started by botangles, May 15, 2012, 03:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

botangles

I have a Bachamnn Alco 2-6-0 and would like to switch to metal couplers. I tried the Kadee #5 but they don't fit in the Pilot or tender boxes. Has anyone tried Kadee's in these steam loco's, and which ones did you use? Thanks.

jonathan

Bo,

You will find all of Bachmann's coupler boxes are too narrow for Kadee couplers. The EZ Mate shanks are bit thinner than their metal cousins.

There are two fixes that I use.  I file down the shank, both sides, on the metal coupler.  It doesn't take much, nor does it take much time.  Just be careful handling the coupler, due to the flying spring.  :) Try a little burnishing after the bit of filing.

The other solution is to shim either the coupler box edges, or box cover edges, to make a little extra space for the metal coupler. A little messier than the first fix, but it works.  Some fine sanding and a touch of paint will hide your work.

I know, I know.  Some of Bachmann's locomotives have that funky holder in front for the coupler.  I find the whisker spring Kadees work fine in this position, either the #148 or #158.  In fact, I've had the best luck using the whisker spring couplers all the time.

EZ Mate Mark II's are also very good for small trains. The 2-6-0 isn't going to drag frieght or coal.  I keep the Mark II's unless the equipment will be part of a 20+ consist.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Jonathan

Geared Steam

As Jonathan suggested, a couple of swipes on each side of the Kadee on a file will do the trick.

electrical whiz kid

Slightly off topic, but I made a "pit stop" today at Essex, Ct.  I do this peroidically to see "what's new" and was surprised to find the 2-8-0 #97 on the entrance (dead) track.  That engine had the smoothest running gear I ever saw-like a woman!
They had an engine I hadn't seen before:  a 2-8-2 #3025 in "NEW HAVEN" livery.  For a moment I thought it was the old "J-3" mike they had saved for ice-melting service, but was informed that it wasn't.  She looks really good though.  it was the arched cab window that fooled me.
In its day, that little depot must have been quite a place!
SOmething else I noticed was the positioning (installation) of the power reverse on the engines-up through  the walkway and on the mike, it actually sat atop the walkway.  Wow!  learn something new every day!
Rich

RAM

New Haven Steam Lives Again! (well sort of). Chinese SY Mikado (Built 1989). Rebuilt By Valley Railroad Essex CT.

J3a-614

botangles

Thanks for the info Jonathan, much appreciated, Bo.