News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NEED HELP/ LOST CHUFFS AND OTHER PROBLEMS

Started by MarkInLA, May 05, 2012, 08:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi .. I recently went digital with an NCE Power Cab..I own only one digital loco, a Bachmann Spectrum ten wheeler.. As I have a hearing deficit I got bold and made an attempt to go into the CVs and got up CV 128  'overall volume control '.I raised some numbers a little , hit ' enter ' and returned to cab home base..Well not only did this not raise volume, but, due to making umpteen feeble attempts to regain original sounds, have now lost the chuffs , hitting bell-button sounds non-stopping whistle, headlight gone, and even ' system refresh' doesn't correct and put all back in order .
Please, if possible , can you write a step by step course of instruction to get me out of this horror I've created..All I wanted was to make sounds louder and hopfully brighten headlight..The NCE manual is quite thorough but assumes too much that we all savvy all the tech talk ; CMGS, Packets, hexadecimal/ binary codes,  what/where F0 thru F10 is, etc. I know I must have opened these variables blindly and should have studied up more before leaping in..But CV 128 looked so easy and inocent a persuit..Doh :-\ !!
Thank you,
Mark In LA

Doneldon

Mark-

I suggest that you start with returning everything to factory defaults.
Your decoder manual will explain how to do this.
                                                                                              -- D

Bucksco

Change CV8 to a value of 8 to reset the decoder to factory settings and then change CV128 to a value of 255 for full volume.

MarkInLA

:o Rails, thank you very very much for all the support. I wish I had studied electronics in my younger days. I  fully understand the difference between digital and analog , AC/DC,  all live /power routing T.O.s, Standard gauge/narrow, shoveling coal/automatic stoker,3rd rail/catenary (on a hot tin roof) ,etc. But,.... bits and bytes ( other than being binary numbered/located ), CDMs, horn packets, F0-F-14 ( why the name/categorization instead of just more CV numbers ),' Key Table Chart ' values and "Shifted Key" values in NCE manual, are all so vague to me..All this technology has both improved our hobby bringing it closer to the real thing,  and greatly complicated our hobby by requiring so much more time just getting things up and rolling.. For me , so far, it has been a love-hate relationship with the digital control system. But the love IS gaining quickly...As I said, I wish I had studied electronics...Mark