22" Radius compatible turnouts to use with 22" Radius EZ Track

Started by TKaufman, April 26, 2012, 01:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKaufman

I am starting to build a layout for my three grandsons using EZ Track, but I don't see a compatible turnout in the EZ track line. Am I missing something? I recognize the standard power turnout that replaces a straight and curved track, but nothing that I can see that will work with the 22" radius track. Any help would be apprreciated.

Tom Kaufman
Seminole Florida

Doneldon

TK-

You won't find a scale turnout which matches 22" radius curves, analogous to the snap switches (I don't mean just the Atlas brand Snap Switch) which match 18" radius because turnouts other than snap switches are numbered and have straight diverging tracks rather than the curved diverging track found on snap switches. The steepness of the angle of the diverging track is inversely proportional to the number of the turnout. Thus, a number eight turnout is shallower or more gentle than a number six. Numbered turnouts with straight diverging tracks resemble the prototype much more than do curved diverging tracks, but what we call a very gentle turnout on our model railroads, say number ten or twelve, would be prohibitively sharp on a twelve inches to the foot pike.
                                                                                                                                                                                          -- D

Jhanecker2

To TKaufman :Doneldon is correct there is no exact match , however try the # 5 turnouts they should work reasonably well they are larger than the # 4 which are relatively new and the original un-number turnout with the curved track . John  II.

Jerrys HO

TK

I am building a yard with a main loop around the yard breaking off the backside of my U shape main. I am using #5's and they  line up just fine with a little fudging, although I am thinking of swapping them out for #6's just for the easement of the turnout.

Jerry

Len

Atlas makes 22" radius switches in their Code 83 track line.

#544/#546 are the LH manual/remote switches, and #545/#547 are the RH manual/remote switches. You'll need to put some cork roadbed under them to match the height of the EZ-Track, and some #551 Transition Joiners to connect the Code 83 switches to the Code 100 EZ-Track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.