News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco 2-6-0 is a winner

Started by 2-8-8-4, April 27, 2012, 12:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2-8-8-4

I just wanted to take a moment to thank Bachmann for putting out such a nicely valued loco--without the infernal traction tires--and with a very nice, though basic, sound package.  In the past I have often admired the large steam engines, but this neat little Alco 2-6-0 is just so much fun to play with on the layout...I may have to buy another!  The clarify of the chuff sound is really remarkable, as is the engine's ability to just run and run at low speed while chuffing away (in DCC mode on my MRC Sound Controller 2.0, which is not quite real DCC).

It puts some other, more highly detailed, but silent steam engines to shame...Now I may have to replace the others (I'm already in the process of paying off an EM-1 layaway).

John

electrical whiz kid

In the past, I have acquired a lot of engines, mostly fairly large steam, including three articulated (2-6-6-2).  This next (and hopefully final) layout I am starting to build, will, in concept, be only a bridge line, the trains will be shorter, feeding industries alongline there.  The main line will have one or two drag freights and trains similar to B&M's "wildcat" route; the rest will be much simpler; as I have found that as simple as you cam keep it and still be happy can be key to an enjoyable passtime.
RIch

Pacific Northern

I was out of town this week and visited the local hobby shop to see what was available. On the main shelf for the HO train section were two HO steamers for sale.

The first steamer was the Bachmann ALCO 2-6-0 with DCC and sound

On the second shelf

was a 2-8-0 steamer that has just been re-released by another manufacturer. This engine is extremely plain with little in the way of piping or other detail. It was DCC ready.

Both engines were listed at $129.99.

I asked the manager which of the two steam engine was he selling more of.  His response was he had one 2-6-0 left, which was on the shelf left out of an order for 20 and that he had sold 2 of the 2-8-0's.

He is on a waiting list for more of the Bachmann Alco's and can not be given a date when he can receive more.
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

Quote from: Pacific Northern on April 27, 2012, 05:47:07 PM
He is on a waiting list for more of the Bachmann Alco's and can not be given a date when he can receive more.
PacNo-

This doesn't surprise me at all. Everybody seems to rave about this loco. I do believe the Bman hit a home run.

-- D

electrical whiz kid

Error note: 
My post here was posted in error; I meant it to go somewhere else.  Sorry 'bout that.
THis little engine is a gem!  Apparently that is a muchly shared opinion; it really fills the bill for a lot of modellers, this one included.  I think this little engine is one of the best efforts to come along in a while.  Kudos, hockets and hemiolas to Bachmann.
Rich