News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD45 runs very slow

Started by Midnite, April 28, 2012, 09:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

Howdy Guys,
I'm sorry if this has been discused before, but I'm new here.  I have two new SD45s that both run quite slow.  Is there anything I can do to improve this performance?  My layou is run with a NCE Power Pro 5 amp DCC system.  I several other locos that all operate fine including 3 Bachman FAs & GP7s and they all perform fine.  These two new SD45s require speed step 10 to even start moving.  Any ideas would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Midnite

richg

Quote from: Midnite on April 28, 2012, 09:11:09 AM
Howdy Guys,
I'm sorry if this has been discused before, but I'm new here.  I have two new SD45s that both run quite slow.  Is there anything I can do to improve this performance?  My layou is run with a NCE Power Pro 5 amp DCC system.  I several other locos that all operate fine including 3 Bachman FAs & GP7s and they all perform fine.  These two new SD45s require speed step 10 to even start moving.  Any ideas would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Midnite

Reset the two slow  locos to factory settings and compare to the others. SOP with a DCC loco that does not seem to run correctly.

Rich

Midnite

Thanks Rich,
But since there wasn't any info with the loco how do I reset it?  I am convinced this is a programming issue as I pulled the shell on one unit and plugged in a TCS decoder that I had and it then runs fine (but that decoder won't fit in the shell. 

Thanks, Midnite

richg

Quote from: Midnite on April 28, 2012, 06:25:57 PM
Thanks Rich,
But since there wasn't any info with the loco how do I reset it?  I am convinced this is a programming issue as I pulled the shell on one unit and plugged in a TCS decoder that I had and it then runs fine (but that decoder won't fit in the shell. 

Thanks, Midnite

CV 8, enter 8.

SOP for many decoders.

Rich

Midnite

Rich, -
Tried resetting CV8 to 8, but no change.  I have tried increasing the CV2 start voltage - again no change.    CV8 was at 101 when I started.  Where do I go now?

richg

Are the SD45's Bachmann? When you do a reset, does the loco number go back to 3?
Sure sounds like a decoder issue. If a Bachmann, go look at the EZ Command manual.
I believe a DZ125 would fit. They come with the eight pin connector also.

Rich

Midnite

Rich,
Yes they are Bachmann and brand new.  Just a thought is it possible they will improve if I run them a while?  I have heard others talk of breaking in a new unit, but have never had this problem before.  and like I mentioned when I plugged in the TCS decoder the improvement was amazing, so I don't think it would be a mechanical issue.

Thanks, Midnite

richg

Quote from: Midnite on April 28, 2012, 11:09:46 PM
Rich,
Yes they are Bachmann and brand new.  Just a thought is it possible they will improve if I run them a while?  I have heard others talk of breaking in a new unit, but have never had this problem before.  and like I mentioned when I plugged in the TCS decoder the improvement was amazing, so I don't think it would be a mechanical issue.

Thanks, Midnite
The last I knew, the on board decoders are low end Lenz, low cost which at least got Bachmann into DCC. Things like this do not change quickly.
This will change but no idea on how long it will take Bachmann to start using a better non sound decoder.
Changing a non sound decoder is not much more difficult than changing a light bulb. Unplug old decoder, plug in new decoder. Many times, the big issue is removing the loco or tender shell.
Not knowing how to shop for the proper size decoder can be an issue with some. Many do not know how to search the Internet. Our PC is a powerful device if we take time to learn to use more of its potential.

Rich

Ken G Price

Not all decoders will start movement with CV2 at 0 or1.
I have three that need to be set closer to CV2=10 to start moving.
Two decoders that are the same can need different CV settings to operate the same.

I believe Rich has the answer in his suggestion to go to a different decoder.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

richg

To be fair to Bachmann, SoundTraxx does have some non sound decoders that might work. SoundTraxx has been using Tsunami for sound.
For diesels. Not sure which ones though. Light board type decoder.
852002    MC2H104AT

Shrink wrappd decoder.
852003    MC2H104OP
852004    MC2H104P9

I was surprised the SoundTraxx came out with a new line of non sound decoders and not all are dual mode.
Caveat emptor.

Rich

Midnite

Howdy Guys,

Thanks for the replies.  I have done about all the reprogramming I know how to.  These are Bachmann locos with the factory installed decoder.  Has Bachmann item no.44915 printed on it.  When I do a read decoder from the program track it comes back with a couple of possible options EZ Comand - 2 function 36-552 or 4 function 36-550 I did a Goggle search and it looks like I have the 36-552 when I try this setting Decoder Pro will not allow me to open the speed table.  There are only 15 CVs total in the list and CV5 & CV6 are not there.  This appears to be a very basic decoder with very limited programming.  Any thoughts other than just replacing it?

Thanks again,
Midnite