DCC-Equipped Train on DC train set - Not Working?

Started by craigerzgt, April 28, 2012, 08:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigerzgt

Hi everyone,

I have a Bachmann Challenger starter train set, which uses a DC controller that comes with the kit and the E-Z Track for the train to run on.  The train that came with the set works fine and runs as it should.  However, I bought a used Bachmann Southern Pacific Daylight GS4 4449, which says that it is DCC-equipped, and it does not work on the track that I got with the Challenger kit.  The light at the front of the train lights up, but the wheels do not move at all, no matter how much power I dial into the track with the controller.

Is the problem because I need a DCC controller in order to use the Daylight on my track?  Is it that the decoder inside the Daylight has gone awry?

Thanks!

Craig

Rangerover1944

It sounds to me like it's either addressed to a 2 or 4 digit address or the previous owner turned off DC analog. You'd best take it to a Local Hobby Shop that has DCC system or a friend who has a system capable of reading CV's to make it work with DC analog. It possibly needs to be reset to factory setting's! That's sometimes a problem when buying used DCC loco's. Jim

bobwrgt

Also make sure you have the plug and harness between engine and tender pushed in all the way.

Bob

wjstix

Yes, most (all?) DCC decoders now available will work on DC or DCC...however you can turn the DC-compatability off. Sometimes, problems come up running an engine in DCC and turning off DC-compatability seems to help. If that's the case, it's just one CV that needs to be changed.