News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Improving performance of dummy Diesel units.

Started by Desertdweller, April 27, 2012, 08:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

A lot of us who have been in the hobby a few years wind up with several unpowered (dummy) Diesel locomotive units.  These can really "fill out" a locomotive consist, but often are troublesome in operation. 

They tend to derail easily if used as the center unit in a locomotive lash-up, with a powered unit on each end.
Also, if used as a trailing unit between a powered unit and a heavy train, they are subject to "string-lining" on curves if the tension forces through them are too high.

There are a few simple fixes that apply to all brands for these problems.

I've found that any of them will usually track better with a little extra weight.  The most versatile weights I have found are 1/4 oz. lead egg sinkers.  These are small enough to fit inside N-scale dummy locos.  You can file a flat spot on them and glue them directly to the frame.  I've found that it works best to keep the original weight in place, and attach the sinkers as close to directly above the trucks as possible.  Lacking room for that, try adding a single 1/2oz. egg sinker in the space otherwise occupied by the motor.

Of course, any consideration normally applied to a regular car applies here, too.  Check the wheels for correct gauge (a MicroTrains coupler height gauge works well for this).  Then place the gauge on a section of straight track and check coupler height.  Make sure the coupler can swing freely from side to side.  This is especially important if the dummy is a cab unit facing the train.

In the case of an unpowered unit sandwiched between powered units, the most important thing is to make sure they are running at the same speed and not fighting each other.  If the lead unit stalls, the rear unit will likely push the dummy off the track, so make sure power pickups are clean.  Here again, a little extra weight will help hold everything on the rails.

James in FL

That's good advice.
I too, am a fan of the egg sinkers.
For custom fitting them into tight places, I start with a ⅛ oz. and shape with a ball peen hammer and file.
I can flatten it at thin as I need.
Makes dandy tool boxes too.

All lead disclaimers apply.