Minimum radius for Spectrum G Scale Train (1:20.3) 4-4-0

Started by flocsy, April 21, 2012, 03:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flocsy

Hi, I'm new in the forum and in large scale as well. I want to buy a bachmann 4-4-0 in ebay and the seller told me to ask on this forum, since the information is not on the box.

emjayw

flocsy, I just bought a used Spectrum 4-4-0 last fall and I have been running it with my Durango & Silverton livery on the track included with the set (4' Diameter turns)  It doesn't like the tight turns very much, in fact I can see the inside front truck wheel rising and falling through the turns, but I've yet to see a derailment.  Go ahead and buy it....it is a beautiful engine.  FYI: The 2-6-0 Spectrum "Mogul" is even more detailed than my early 4-4-0 and costs quite a bit less if you look around, however, the six drivers may cause problems in the tighter turns whereas the 4-4-0 just keeps on motoring along.  Mine is a D&RG "Rito Alto" version and I have added a large "funnel" stack as I prefer it to the "diamond" type originally provided.  Enjoy...  Mike in TX

Chris9017

4-4-0s were built to go faster than the 2-6-0s, and if you use a 4 foot radius curve, the front pony wheel digs right into the side of the cylinders on the tight turns.   And at Cruising speeds, a 4-4-0 can likely derail at a tight turn.   It is best not to go below a 6 foot radius curve for a 4-4-0, but an 8 foot is probably the tightest I would go.

armorsmith

Flo,

I am not sure of the specifics of the Spectrum 4-4-0, but in general, all of the Spectrum line is best run on no less than 8 foot diameter (4 foot radius).  My K-27 information states it will run on 8 foot diameter, but it looks HORRIBLE!

Bob C.

emjayw

I didn't say it (the 4-4-0) looked good doing the 4' Diameter turns....only that it will do them.  Just be aware of the rear inside front truck wheel will try and "lift" during the turns.  so far I've not seen any signs of contact between the front truck and any other chassis pieces.  Mike in TX

tomplatten

My "G" Gauge buddies say the 4-4-0 will negotiate the Aristocraft 5 foot radius track with no problem!

mickeykelley

5 ft radius = 10 ft diameter which most things run pretty easily, as I understand it. Threads where people constantly flip between radius and diameter tend to become confusing. Most engines claim 4 ft diameter (Christmas tree ring) compatible but may not "look" good to some individuals, so you need to see where you fall on that perspective. But if you stay with 8 foot diameter or greater, you should be fine for most things.  Hope this helps.

glennk28

I think tyhat Chris has his radii and diameters mixed up.  My 4-4-0 took 4'radius--which in the common usage of the large-scale manufacturers is 8'diameter. 

gj

JerryB

Glenn: I think you are correct: Chris is mixing radius and diameter. My Spectrum 2-6-0, which is the same basic mechanism as the 4-4-0 except for an extra pair of drivers) works fine on my 4' radius (8' diameter) turning balloon. Of course the locomotive is usually running light or with only one caboose or combine that is also being turned, but it is not stressed at all by that radius.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources