News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-2 Heavy Mountain #82506

Started by donbutl, April 29, 2012, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbutl

I was just given the 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain and the only information sheets in the box was the Illustrated Parts Breakdown. 

Is there anywhere that an Owners manual can be found, purchased, downloaded.  I plan to add the DCC/sound but the IPB does not provide the information necessary.

I believe that the Circuit board in the tender has the correct 8=pin plug for DCC but I am unsure.  I want to be sure prior to the stating work.

Thanks

Doneldon

don-

This install is not a big deal. The PCB is in the tender and there is a place ready for the speaker. The biggest challenge will be opening the tender and that's no biggie. You should be able to complete the install in under half an hour and with noting more than a screwdriver and maybe some foam tape. Good luck!

-- D

richg

The Bachmann locos do not come with instructions for installing DCC and or sound. Most brands do not. The manufacturer expect modelers to have some experience at this.
No idea your level of experience.
Plugging in the decoder is not an issue. Speaker install can be an issue.
The only soldering would be two wires for the speaker.

I just looked at the 4-8-2 DCC ready diagram here in the Bachmann site and it appears there are three different tender possibilities. Standard coal, oil Vanderbilt and coal Vanderbilt and no speaker location.

Standard procedure is to unplug the DC adapter on the PC board and plug in a decoder that has a eight pin plug.
Clip the capacitors. They will be yellow blobs and might be one or two. They will be labeled C1, C2, etc. Clip them.
If the PC board has SMD components, still C1, C2, etc.
Do not worry about the two inductors that might look like resistor. They will be labeled L1, L2. With no caps, they become a straight piece of wire at the frequency DCC runs at. Some will argue about this.
Speaker install will be an issue if no experience at this.
The standard tender needs holes drilled for a 28mm speaker which is quite standard with a HO tender install.
A 16mm x 35mm would work also. The speaker edge needs to be sealed where it fits on the bottom of the tender.
The below fellow favors the Tsunami so look at his pages. Curriculum has a lot of good info, including the SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder info.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Recommended by SoundTraxx.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=ho&s=Bachmann

Rich

richg

Forgot to mention before, go look at the diagram in the Bachmann site here for the 4-8-2 with sound and you can get an idea of how that version has the speaker location you can duplicate depending on your mechanical experience.

Rich

donbutl

thanks richg

As far AS Model RR experience, about two years, as far as DCC 6 months.  I have reviewed what you discussed and believe it to be rather easy.  Cannot be any harder that electronics on Naval aircraft.

Thanks for the tips.

I will investigate decoders next.

richg

Quote from: donbutl on April 29, 2012, 02:35:56 PM
thanks richg

As far AS Model RR experience, about two years, as far as DCC 6 months.  I have reviewed what you discussed and believe it to be rather easy.  Cannot be any harder that electronics on Naval aircraft.

Thanks for the tips.

I will investigate decoders next.

Yeah, should not be a problem.
I buy most DCC stuff from Litchfield with very good prices, shipping and support.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php

Check and save all the links I posted.

Rich

richg

Quote from: florynow on April 29, 2012, 04:19:31 PM
Some of you guys think it is not a challenge to do these installs.  Just because you think it is easy does not mean it is for everyone.  It might actually be hard for someone new to model railroading who didn't build radios before to figure out where all of those many wires go and to actually do the sub-atomic-sized soldering work needed on each wire, without melting plastic somewhere or getting something wrong and frying your decoder when you power up.  Plus you have to get the speaker not to rattle.............. a job in itself.

This job might turn out to be easy for some, but work like this never was for me, in any form, over many years now,and I think that caution is a really good idea before jumping off of a cliff you might not be able to climb back up.  Having the install done by a professional is a real option, and it does not imply a lower level of ability within this pastime.

PF

And that is why we have so much RTR with model trains.
Over the years I have seen some layouts with no sculptured hills, mountains. The person did not have the ability and was more interested in running trains which many like to do.
There are many aspects of model railroading where some do not have the ability or desire for more details. This is not only an issue for DCC installs. Look at the different manufactures coming up with RTR sound.
Look at all the pre-built buildings, structures and the laments by all the old times for no more kits.
Many do not want to hand lay track or even use the track in three foot sections. Sectional track is good enough.
We live in a fast pace world.

Rich

Rangerover1944

Quote from: florynow on April 29, 2012, 04:19:31 PM
Some of you guys think it is not a challenge to do these installs.  Just because you think it is easy does not mean it is for everyone.  It might actually be hard for someone new to model railroading who didn't build radios before to figure out where all of those many wires go and to actually do the sub-atomic-sized soldering work needed on each wire, without melting plastic somewhere or getting something wrong and frying your decoder when you power up.  Plus you have to get the speaker not to rattle.............. a job in itself.

This job might turn out to be easy for some, but work like this never was for me, in any form, over many years now,and I think that caution is a really good idea before jumping off of a cliff you might not be able to climb back up.  Having the install done by a professional is a real option, and it does not imply a lower level of ability within this pastime.

PF

Good points, but I was one that wouldn't take a shell off a loco or any car for that matter when I came back to the hobby 7 years ago. Hated those little screws and oh my God I have to take out couplers to get a shell off. Did that only if it was absolutely necessary!

Then I wanted to mess with them CV's ya'll were talking about! Didn't know what a CV was. Well I found out and still finding out, but I do understand now a little.

Funny there ain't no bogey men! I went on and gave a good shot at installing a decoder in an old Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher that ran pretty good and followed advice given on doing the stall test. Then I bought a decoder and followed directions on the web about split frames, isolating the motor, how to wire it (hard wired of course), changing the bulb to led as well as rear light. LOL put her on the track and it ran like a store bought DCC loco.  Learned a lot, took awhile for my first install, heck plugging in plugged decoders in DCC ready engines doesn't even count as a conversion to me. I've done now 28 and still sometimes need somebody else's experience to guide me along the way.

I ain't afraid of "messing with cv's", that's what factory reset is for, guys like me who want to learn. I enjoy all aspects of the hobby and make my own scenery trees and even scratch build, and weathering!

But hey,"I ain't afraid to take a shell off now!"

Now "ain't that something" Jim

Now I know some folks don't want to mess with the stuff I do and it's ok we're all here and doing what is best for ourselves. LOL that's why I bought Bachmann EZ Command in the first place, just wanted to put my trains on the track and run them using the most uncomplicated DCC system I could find, didn't want to know anything about all this program stuff with CV's what's the best system, just want to run trains. Live and Let Live I say and enjoy the hobby the way you desire!