News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kinzua Viaduct

Started by Frog Pulling Team, July 28, 2007, 12:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Why did you highlight "rail road"? I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Is the taller bridge, that I gave you the link to, not a rail road bridge? The stats would seem to indicate the Kinzua is a tad shorter than the High Level.

Sid

Conrail Quality

I think he's trying to contrast "railroad" and "railway". At least, that's what it seems like to me ???.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Frog Pulling Team

SteamGene

Froggy,
It looks like the High Level Bridge is a railroad bridge.  It also appears to be longer and taller.   I don't remember the build dates.  Perhaps the Kinzua viaduct WAS the longest/tallest and just isn't anymore.  For a long time the Golden Gate Bridge was the longest suspension bridge in the world and the Empire State Building was the tallest building.  Neither are any more.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Frog Pulling Team

Well I can tell ya the Kinzua Bridge isnt the talest any more.

When built the Kinzue Viduct was the 8th wonder of the world. :o

ebtnut

At the time it was built, Kinzua was the longest and highest, but subsequent events change things.  I think the Lethbridge viaduct may be the longest and highest steel bridge.  The Tunkhannock viaduct is, of course, poured concrete.  It was built around 1910, when the DL&W was rebuilding itself into a high-speed bridge line.  They also built a whole new line across north Jersey as part of the same project.