News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Changing rails on E-Z Track

Started by jleight, April 30, 2012, 02:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jleight

??? Has anyone ever tried changing just the rails from the steel to the NS rails on the E-Z track? Reason I'm asking is the Thomas Tidmouth Shed came with steel track on all the parts. The powered Turntable 45299 comes with NS. I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra money to buy a second turntable but want to have NS rails especially in the sheds. Just wondered if anyone has ever replaced steel rails with NS on the plastic roadbed? Thanks.

Rangerover1944

I don't think I'd want to attempt that. Granted most use NS. I guess some of us have it mixed, I do, NS, brass and steel. I have to tell you I have the Bachmann EZ track for my subway and yes I do have the steel track on part of it, been there for 7 years always thought about replacing it but I haven't yet. It's not rusting, needs no more cleaning than NS as long as I don't use abrasives to clean it with, I use Flitz polish when and if it needs cleaning just like NS or even brass for that matter. I believe the steel track has a zinc coating to prevent rust and or corrosion. I haven't ballasted it yet, but that's probably what I'll do. Doesn't seem to bother anybody that's seen it, the 2 different colors of roadbed. Heck here in West Virginia the remodeled rail yard has light gray stone for ballast, go over the bridge and it's black. By the way I use DCC and haven't had any problem with the different rail metals affecting operation!
My post is from experience and not of an opinion! Jim

Terry Toenges

I think you would save yourself from some headaches by just buying new track.
Feel like a Mogul.

Jerrys HO

It can be done,but it is very delicate to do. The plastic spikes are very fragile you may break a few but if you break to many it's not good. I don't know how the shed is built and if it would be just as time consuming as doing a 9" straight. I had to replace a rail that was dented in a case I bought.
I do wish they would sell the shed separately though.

Jerry

Doneldon

jl8-

I think you'll find that this isn't worth the effort. You'll have to buy rail and then spend a
whole lot of time on a tedious and delicate project to save only a little money. Use the
steel rail until it rusts or gets dirty and then just replace it.
                                                                                         -- D