News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc tender change out

Started by joshua797, April 30, 2012, 09:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua797

Hello, I hope you can help me out. I have a bachmann spectrum 2-6-6-2 vandy tender/w sound, I'm going to a dcc ready USRA long tender(spectrum). I purchased a 1amp bachmann 2 function decoder installed it and nothing Nada. no lights no movement, nothing. tried a regular power pack still nothing. put differant dcc tender on , it works. please help

josh

richg

Get your multimeter out and do a continuity check. Compare to the original tender. All Bachmann DCC tenders are not the same.
I have to assume your DCC controller does not indicate an overload or short as you did not mention it.

Rich

Doneldon

josh-

The issue isn't your tender, per se; it's the decoder. The tender is just the package which holds the decoder and makes electrical connection with the rails. As long as the tender isn't shorting, as can happen if one truck is turned halfway around from normal, you need to check out the decoder.

If the decoder in a different tender works, put that decoder, or its equivalent, into the tender you want to use.
                                                                                                                                                                   -- D

joshua797

thanks, put decoder in a dcc on-board Berkshire tender works. so its in the USRA long tender, wish i could find a Berkshire tender like i want, it would look great behind the 2-6-6-2.

richg

Quote from: joshua797 on May 01, 2012, 06:29:39 PM
thanks, put decoder in a dcc on-board Berkshire tender works. so its in the USRA long tender, wish i could find a Berkshire tender like i want, it would look great behind the 2-6-6-2.

I have seen those tenders on ebay. The Favorite Spot is a very good ebay seller of Bachmann products and might have it.

Rich

WoundedBear

Is this possibly one of those instances where the circuit boards are not compatible between the two tenders?

Sid

joshua797

real quick question. are all main PC boards in the bachmann tenders the same? Oh , too richg i have for now a bachmann e-z command station, hope to get the zephyr soon for this large layout (gotta start somewhere).

joshua797

ah i see. looks like i may have to get a long tender for the 2-6-6-2 from here then but just in case the bachmann spectrum USRA long tender number is #89831

richg

Quote from: joshua797 on May 01, 2012, 08:29:13 PM
real quick question. are all main PC boards in the bachmann tenders the same? Oh , too richg i have for now a bachmann e-z command station, hope to get the zephyr soon for this large layout (gotta start somewhere).

There use to be a discussion about the differences but I cannot find it right now. I never stored the page when it was discussed about four years or so ago.
I have the USRA medium that comes with a four pin and two pin adapter. The adapter reverses each pair. I had to rewire. Some locos have the receptacle, some a plug. Same with the tenders.
This tender also has no LED resistor. There is a 220 ohm resistor but to dim the headlight in reverse, only. I traced out the circuit.

Some tenders, the trucks can swivel all the way around and cause a short. Some cannot swivel very much.

Rich

richg

Quote from: joshua797 on May 01, 2012, 08:33:47 PM
ah i see. looks like i may have to get a long tender for the 2-6-6-2 from here then but just in case the bachmann spectrum USRA long tender number is #89831

Two on ebay, right now, Buy It Now.

Rich

joshua797

hoping before i buy a new tender that the PC board is the culprit. The PC board number is s256x PCB02 and is located in the center of the tender not in the back like the picture on the part page.

josh

p.s I'm still a newbie in DCC just got half of my layout done

joshua797

Thanks rich for all the help, looks like I'm going with a tender Chasis from the parts page. i think the USRA long tender shell will mate up to i, i hope. Like i said I'm new at this, me and my son are learning as we go.

Doneldon

Quote from: joshua797 on May 03, 2012, 09:49:48 PM
me and my son are learning as we go.
Josh-

We all are!

-- D