News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum 4-8-2 headlight

Started by GtrsnTrains, February 24, 2013, 06:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GtrsnTrains

First off, been reading this forum for many years but have finally joined.  Lots of good info here!
Ok the headlight issue has been asked about many times for many different models.  After recently purchasing a Dcc Standard 2-6-0 and after upgrading my specturm Doodlebug to a tsunami (and changing it's headlight and adding a reverse as well, and interior too for that matter) I REALLY want to update the sadly dim headlamp on my 4-8-2.  The internet is full of N scale answers but only here do I see anyting close to HO, thanks to member jonathan and the connie project.
First off after being scared to take my Doodlebug apart I have now many times.  Tried to take my 2-6-0 apart today and got scared, so backed off.  Touching my prized 4-8-2 is downright terrifying.
I need direction and guidance please.  Btw, the loco in question was purchased new in 2008 and came tsunami-equiped, if that has any bearing on the issue.

K487

GtrsnTrains:

I'll take a stab at answering you.  Here's what I just did a few days ago.

I had purchased a "used" (not run) Bachmann Spectrum Heavy Mountain 4-8-2 about a week ago and among other things a couple of days ago changed out the headlight to a 3 to 13 volt soft white LED.  For me it looks really nice now.

I took the metal boiler/cab shell off by removing the tender coupling bar's screw on the underside of rear of the engine (holds the rear of the shell too).  Then removed the pony (front) truck's screw and set the truck aside, which revealed another screw that I removed.  This then lets you rotate the shell off by lifting the rear of the shell up (the smoke box front pivots some in front) and then pulled out the two black metal rods from the holes in the bottom sides of the smoke box front.  Then set the shell down.  (By the way I have a hard time puting those two metal rods back in the holes in the smoke box front when reassembling.)

You will notice a longitudinally vertically split frame, and the two wires in the split frame that lead from the back of the engine to the front of the split frame (the headlight lens is installed in the smoke box front.)  I pulled on the wires and pulled the "light bulb" (not the headlight lens) out. 

Now since I was going to install the 3 to 13 volt LED I cut the wire leads for the factory-installed blue headlight at the little computer board on the engine in the rear.  I then installed the LED by pushing it forward between the two frame halves until it protruded a little from the front of the split frames, ran it's two wires to the back, and then soldered them to the two motor brushes' electrical contacts - bypassing any of the electronics on the board in the engine.

I did some other things which required taking the two split frames out (like lubing the motor which it needed - it did run but had been sitting idle for years; oil slowly dries out.)  But if you're just changing out the headlight, you now need to put the boiler shell back on.

Maybe some other folks on this board have a better, different and/or easier way to "change the light bulb."

K487

GtrsnTrains

Ok, you've definately given me a starting point.  Two more days of work then a 4-day weekend, so this is on my agenda!

GtrsnTrains

Thanks K847, perfect instructions.  Only I couldn't pull on the led wires, but rather I took out the front-most screw holding the two halves together and pushed it out the front.  Clipped the wires and replaced, in my case a yelo-glow and a 1K resistor.  With the shell off it's very nice and bright.  With the shell on that little clear piece gives it a slight greenish look and dims it, so I'm going to drill it out with my pin vise, and maybe have to replace the lens.  Won't know till I get there.

K487

GtrsnTrains:

You're welcome.

And I see you're like most of us - customizing our locos.  For me it's very satisfying seeing a successful up-grade.

K487