News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N&W tenders

Started by ryeguyisme, May 01, 2012, 12:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

Hi everyone I'm looking for Norfolk and Western 16,000 and 18,000 gallon tenders, much like ones found some of their articulateds and K3:

The D&RGW western used them on some of their mikados and their F-81 2-10-2 later in their service, The Rio Grande also bought a few K3's from N&W calling them the 1550's M-69 class on their roster

I love D&RGW engines and a little bit of N&W, I saw someone converted a bachmann 2-6-6-2 into a more Norfolk and Western looking engine with a different smokebox front, worthington feedwater system and the N&W tender in place of the USRA tender

richg

Have you checked ebay in the HO scale section? I think I just saw one there and a similar C&O long haul.

Rich

ryeguyisme

could you send me a PM I haven't seen anything seperate most everything else is part of an engine that increases the price

richg

Can't do it. Your email is hidden.
Go to ebay.com and search for bachmann n&w tender. There is one. You can check maybe once a week for more sellers.
Also search ebay for bachmann tender. There are a lot. They will not have the same road name but maybe you can re-letter.
Choose the HO scale link and store that link in Favorites for future use.
Some times you have to keep looking There is a way to do this automatically but I have never bothered with that option.

Rich

richg

I just remembered another option which I do a lot. Search the Internet with bachmann and the tender part number. That can bring up on line companies that might have the item you want. I have found many items over the years like that. Most on line shops will advertise an item with the manufactures part number like Walther's does.
I like the thrill of the chase.

Rich

wildpaws

Quote from: richg on May 01, 2012, 10:30:41 PM
I just remembered another option which I do a lot. Search the Internet with bachmann and the tender part number. That can bring up on line companies that might have the item you want. I have found many items over the years like that. Most on line shops will advertise an item with the manufactures part number like Walther's does.
I like the thrill of the chase.

Rich

In my own quest to find a N&W aux. tender, I have found that many of the listings that come up in searches are either so far out of date that they no longer have it or are actually for an item which was not the number I did in the search. Very frustrating at times, but a real joy when you do find something you are looking for.
Clyde

ryeguyisme

Unfortunately Bachmann never made this tender, it's only available in brass or from proto, which sells them with their 2-8-8-2 which I'm really not interested in buying the whole articulated for the tender.

The only thing that comes close to it is the Aux. tender, which is about $15 on trainworld, but I don't feel like kitbashing unless I really have to.

The class J tender I have 2  of those but they didn't cut the mustard for my intentions.

oldline1

The 16,000 gallon tender was imported by Sunset for the N&W K-3 4-8-2 & also the D&RGW, W&LE and RF&P engines that were purchased from the N&W. They aren't too frequently for sale anywhere but I have managed to pick up 2 on ebay in the past 3 years.

The 18,000 gallon tender is the fishbelly frame tender that was imported by NWSL for their N&W E-2 4-6-2. These tenders are very common on ebay with & without trucks. They were available with 6 wheel Buckeye trucks or the N&W Lewis type which was also a 6 wheel type.

Neither N&W import comes with a doghouse. The Susnet version for the D&RGW may have one though.

Roger Huber

ryeguyisme

thank you for some insight, I shall use this information quite well :)

wildpaws

Slightly off topic, I did find the N&W aux. tender I was looking for in the railfan colors to match my J611, it's on the way and should be here this week.
Clyde

rallygsc

Hello Everyone:

Bowser did make this tender a while back, it was usually with their 4-8-2 locomotive kit

different trucks, but it was the same tender, hard to find now.

everyone wanting RTR stuff  >:(killed the kits and Bowser discontinued all of their kits.

take care
George

Len

There's always the option of picking up some styrene, detail parts, and trucks, then scratchbuilding the thing. ;D

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

JRG1951

What about starting with the Bachmann Aux water tender and adding a coal bunker. I think there was a article In Model Railroader a while back.
Regards
John
*****************************************************************************************
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale. >>
Arthur C. Clarke

wildpaws

Quote from: JRG1951 on May 22, 2012, 03:39:11 PM

What about starting with the Bachmann Aux water tender and adding a coal bunker. I think there was a article In Model Railroader a while back.
Regards
John
*****************************************************************************************
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale. >>
Arthur C. Clarke

That looks like it might be a good starting point, great suggestion.
Clyde

Nigel

Quote from: JRG1951 on May 22, 2012, 03:39:11 PM

Regards
John
Arthur C. Clarke

It was in Model Railroading - part of the series to convert a Bachmann PRR K4 into a N&W E-3. 

All of the N&W A-tanks were converted from 15K and 16K gallon tenders, and the this conversion takes them back to the original configuration.  The Bachmann truck are great too :)

The conversion is also practical with the other guy's A-tanks too.

The current Bachmann Spectrum A-tank is the one to use, the original Bachmann A-tank model was of the A-tanks used during NS's steam program, which are not the same as the ones built by N&W in the early 1950's.

Keeping watching e-bay for the Proto tenders (two different versions of N&W 18K tenders) - I scored one many years ago from someone converting a Proto 2-8-8-2 into some other road's engine, making the tender surplus. 

Occassionally the Sunset K3 and Westside (if I recall correctly) E3 brass models show up at very low prices, especially if the locomotive is damaged; the tender rarely has hard to repair damage, even if the model hit the floor.  The Oriental Y3 models show up from time to time to.  Also, as noted there are also the NWSL models.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955