New Bachmann On30 4-4-0 Photo

Started by hminky, July 28, 2007, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

From the Texas Outlaws site

Prototype, hit it on the head at least

Harold

eric

Thank you for taking the time to locate and post the picture.

Eric Root

Jeff in NJ

hminky

I changed the subject title to reflect who made the 4-4-0

drgw268

I was hoping for a more traditional 4-4-0 with large drivers.  It'll be interesting to see what the kitbashers do with this one though.

Jeff in NJ

OK...what's the price and when are they expected to be delivered?

Also, it looks as though it has basically the same chassis/mechanism as the recently released Richmond Loco Works 4-4-0s in HO.

ollie

I hope that Bach Mann releases photos of it. Love to see a nice side view of it.......

rich19

modelling the 1880's, I have been waiting desperately for a 4-4-0. When I saw the photos I asked myself "are the drivers too small, or the locomtive too big"?

I'm very grateful that Bachmann listens to us, as we have asked for a 4-4-0 for quite a wile. I'm a little bit disappointed about the choice of the prototype. The engine, particularly the drivers, are disproportionate at best.  It just doesn't have the typical "stretched" look of the classical "american".

Cofga

Quote from: Jeff in NJ on July 28, 2007, 04:52:40 PM
OK...what's the price and when are they expected to be delivered?

Caboose Hobbies is taking advance orders for $192.97. I'll wait for the ebay price this time. Locos that I bought previously are now going for half what I paid for them when they first came out. Waiting a few months takes the "Demand" premium off the price.

Jeff in NJ

Just pre-ordered my 4-4-0...the black & graphite, steel cab, electric headlight version.

Kevin Strong

A few thoughts...

Interesting prototype. (Notice no forward sand dome on the prototype photo--glad to see B'mann include one.) I agree, the drivers are a bit small to convey that "typical" 4-4-0 look, but at the same time, I applaud B'mann for finding an appropriate prototype instead of taking the engineering drawings for their 1:20.3 4-4-0 and squeezing things in to "make it fit." I'm just finishing up a minor kitbash of one of those 4-4-0s, and there's not much room to squeeze without having to reduce the driver diameter. Most narrow gauge 4-4-0s had driver diameters in the 40" - 44" range, and to put drivers that large on a 30" gauge frame would mean raising the boiler up to clear, which I think would also work against the proportions.

Now, Bach-man... See those rounded domes, extended smokebox, straight stack and electric headlight you have on this particular model? How's about making the 1:20.3 version with those features!?

Later,

K

kendoitall

From an email I got from Micro Mark:

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

Chris333

How large are the On30 4-4-0's drivers?

I see NCNG #& has 41" drivers, but they are spaced further apart. The models driver are further apart than the Mt. Gretta locomotives so that isn't the prototype.

I have drawings of a 30" gauge 4-4-0 used in Brazil, but it is outside framed. It has 38" drivers

It would be nice if Bachmann posted a prototype photo so I would be more inclined to buy one.

Thanks
Chris

Chris333

Still trying to find a real locomotive that looks like this to talk myself into buying one, I dug these up:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos/photo#5096795085689933410

http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/ProtoPhotos/photo#5096795150114442866

Both 3' gauge.

I still wanna see that catalog photo!

amdaylight

Chris,

I think that I figured out what the problem is in my mind with the new locomotive, they made the cab too tall. If you look at the photo that you linked to the panels below the windows should be about half as tall as they are. In one photo the man standing on the foot plate between the loco and the tender is almost as tall as the roof of the cab and there is no way that he could have stood up in the cab over the drivers.

Andre :)

PS Now that I have figured out what was bothering me, I know how to fix it. ;D :)  ;D :)