News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forney Filter Components Location

Started by fch, May 01, 2012, 03:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fch

I recently purchased a 2-4-4 Forney with DCC installed and plan to convert it to a DCC sound decoder in the near future.  Info that came with the locomotive indicate it may be good to remove the filter components (inductor and capacitors).  I cannot seem to locate these components on the circuit board in the tank portion of the loco.  Are the filter components actually on this model and, if so, where are they located?

Thanks.

richg

The components are on the PC board. usually. In your case, the yellow blob capacitors might be right on the motor.
My Spectrum 70 ton had the caps right on the motor but that was obvious when I removed the shell.
The capacitors with have a C prefix, such as, C1, C2. Don't worry about the two inductors, L1, L2. With no caps, they are essentially a straight piece of wire. I have worked with capacitor, inductor filters for many years and at the frequency of DCC, the inductors are a none issue.

If the caps are SMD type, I clip them of with a small pair of 4 inch wire clippers. If yellow blob, clip the leads.
Some who are paranoid with clip the inductors though I never have. Replace them with a piece of wire or the loco will not run. Sorry to say that, but some have wondered why the loco did not tun after clipping the inductors.

Something new Bachmann is doing is putting the caps and inductors right in the loco and hiding them from prying eyes.
Some train shops on the other side of the Pond tell people NOT to remove the caps. The caps are suppose to be there for a good reason. I did some searching on forums on the other side of the Pond.

Rich