News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reset S4 decoder to defaults.

Started by steelrail, May 01, 2012, 06:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelrail

Anyone know if the sound decoder in the S4 can be reset to factory defaults ?
I changed the CV for bell rate and master volume but seemed to have
messed something up along way as now the lights do not work. :-\

It's a great engine, well not so much in the dark now , but I am new to DCC.

richg

Quote from: steelrail on May 01, 2012, 06:49:37 PM
Anyone know if the sound decoder in the S4 can be reset to factory defaults ?
I changed the CV for bell rate and master volume but seemed to have
messed something up along way as now the lights do not work. :-\

It's a great engine, well not so much in the dark now , but I am new to DCC.

Check the CV list fpr the S-4. It is here somewhere in the Bachmann site. You can download it to your PC and print it out if necessary.

Rich

richg

Quote from: Hunt on May 01, 2012, 08:27:30 PM
The S4's installed decoder is not a Tsunami decoder but you can use  the decoder reset procedure found in the Tsunami Diesel Sound User's Guide instructions.

The CVs can be quickly reset to their factory default values using the following procedure.
1. Program CV 30 to 2 (or CV 8 to 8 ) using either Service Mode or Operations Mode
2. Place locomotive on a powered section of track. If locomotive is already on the mainline, cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and then back on.
3. After power is restored to the track there should be no indication of activity other than the power LED turning on for a period of six seconds.If sound comes on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not reset. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
4. Once the six-second period has elapsed, the sound should come on and the headlight, backup light and onboard diagnostic light will blink 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset.
5. Tsunami should now respond to short address 3 just as it did when it was first unpacked.
6. If you cannot get the decoder to reset, check to see that it has not been inadvertently locked (see ?If You Forget the Lock Code? in the previous section).

Below is the CV list for the S-4 which can help. The decoder uses much of the same technology as the Tsunami, just not all.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/ho_alcos4_sv.pdf

The below link may help in the future. Store all links in Favorites.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/bachmann.php

Save the previous message also.

Rich

steelrail

Thanks Rich, I had seen the set CV 30 =2 process else where but was not sure it was the right thing to do . Seeing it here I gave it a try and it worked 99 percent. The only difference was the forward light would go dark when in reverse instead of dim. Used the PDF info to reset CV 33 and 34 and all is good now .Thanks again.