Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Registration of products

Started by seabee, May 02, 2012, 07:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seabee

Jerrys HO

No. Mail in only.
I have only sent mine with a original receipt of purchase and a copy of the registration card when I had a problem. I have only had to send in 2 pieces out of my collection. What a great product Bachmann has.

Jerry

2-8-8-4

Historically I've taken a "when it breaks throw it away and replace it" philosophy.

In some instances (but certainly not all) by the time I send an item back for warranty repairs, and pay any associated fees (depending on the manufacturer), it works out almost being cheaper or more cost effective to simply go buy another item instead.

I've had big dollar LGB steamers fail twice within a year (same over-engineered engine--that's why they went bankrupt), and have paid as much as $65 shipping each time while being without the use of the steamer for 8 to 12 weeks at a time...so I got out of large scale.  If the stuff isn't available to run, and repairs are costly, then why bother to have it at all?

In HO if a locomotive breaks, it's not quite as big of a deal to replace it as if it was large scale...I've only ever had to "write-off" a few engines, and in most cases, they had more than served their time and owed me nothing.

Only two times in my 38 years in this hobby have I ever needed to send an HO engine back for warranty service, and I usually don't know where the receipts are anyway, but the two items still got fixed under warranty.  Also, one time I returned a "factory refurbished" 2-8-2 that I had just purchased to BLI because it was not correctly re-assembled when they "refurbished" it.

John

2-8-8-4

Ha--I'm not superstitious at all and I don't believe in "luck".--However, after my previous post, I just received a brand new steam engine that has a slight bind in it (no it's not the EM-1 I have on layaway, but a far lesser engine).

Murphy's Law.

Now I have the choice of continuing to run-in this engine, since it is much improved at 1.5 hours run time, or of simply returning it to the importer for repair or replacement.

Rather than panic, since I have the luxury of time (literally just received the model yesterday and haven't even sent the warranty card in yet), I'm opting to run this engine and see what happens.

If it doesn't improve to my liking, I still have the warranty/replacement option.

Best Regards All-

John